Midi controller for OT

Hello!
I’m looking for a MIDI controller for the Octatrack but all the choices are confusing. Also, it is hard to tell which ones will actually work with the Octatrack and which ones have mappings available.

I’d like:

8 fades for controlling audio track volume
8 pads to play the each audio track sample, finger drum style
8 buttons for audio track mutes
16 buttons for pattern selection
16 endless rotary knobs for other track parameters
No need for MIDI host or extra MIDI boxes

Is this too ambitious or even possible? Could any current controller do this?

Thank you for your help!

:heavy_check_mark:

:wink:

Damn, I had a feeling it was too ambitious.

If I were to be less ambitious, what would you recommend?

My most wanted features would be:

8 fades for controlling audio track volume
8 pads to play the each audio track sample, finger drum style
8 buttons for audio track mutes
lots of assignable rotary knobs

Can you still only select patterns via the OT? I read somewhere.

The Novation Launch Control XL, FaderFox UC44, and Machinewerks CS x51 all look interesting with perhaps the UC44 coming closest to what I want. No?

There’s been no support on machinewerks controller since release
The buttons can toggle on/off or be like normal pads
I think they only light up if used as ableton controller
And it can only do cc’s , but at least each can be assigned midi channel
The mixer thing has no mid point feeling , mine isn’t quite in the middle when it reads 0

Also , it’s only got 1 profile at a time , to change settings you need to update via editor

Build quality is good.
I got mine for £125

Perhaps try a native instruments thing. New jam controller can probably be setup as controller though it would be expensive I think.

while Im here asking noob questions…

can you use two MIDI controllers at the same time with the OT?

Something like a Novation LaunchControl XL + something with pads would be great.

Would I need a special MIDI box to use two controllers?

Midi merge box required.

Yeah you can use 2 controllers.
If you use a laptop you could route the controllers “thru” your DAW, and use a MIO MIDI to USB adapter, no need for a merge box.
There’s also “merge” cables, for example you can find a 2>1, or 3>1 etc, about $30.

Personally I think merge/thru boxes are a waste of money when you can get a used Motu Midi Xpress XT for $40-$60.

1 Like

Although you didn’t mention keys, any of the Novation ReMote series should work.
They have nice keys, and meet almost all of your requirements.
The Zero SL has no keys, but all the other controls.
Personally I like the older silver Novation ReMotes, they have 4 Function buttons, which are like FAST UI presets, basically each Fn button selects a different layout (mapping) for the controller. Super easy/fast selection.
The SL series dont do this, they have a rotary encoder, nice but very different.

If you go down this path, and you’re a wee bit tech savy, I recommend looking in to Bomes, or the new BomeBox.
If like a swiss army knife for midi’d up gear.

I’m using a Kenton MIDI merge to pass Usamo Clock, LCXL and AK (external keyboard control) through to the Octatrack (and then passing onto everything else in the MIDI chain)… it works beautifully.

Great! You are using a USB to MIDI box too with the LCXL?

Thanks for the replies. The SL series looks perfect.

A LCXL along with a SL 25 Mkii would be awesome if I could map them to do what I want.

1 Like

You can, it’s pretty simple

BTW… any rackmount midi controllers available? Can’t really find anything…

(edit… aside from the Oktakontrol)

Another angle: what about using an ipad for fader/mute control? I’ve been looking into Touchable today - it seems like a pretty slick and functional way of controlling Live, and it has a section where you can design custom surfaces so it can potentially work with the OT. I understand a lot of you guys are hardware only but if you already have a computer and ipad as stable bits of your studio this could potentially be a good solution. Will give it a shot and report back.

+1
For the people using launch control xl and others, how do you deal with parameter jumps if you don’t have endless encoders?
Isn’t it annoying?

I only use 1 page on the LCXL which gives me control over mute, volume, delay amount, and filter control. I don’t need any more control beyond that for my set.

@Geneoart, correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you can’t configure the leds for the buttons on the user presets…? that sucks quite a bit.
I actually was considering getting one for the Octa (I currently use a NanoKontrol, but I wanted more control/better quality/feel) but this kinda throws me off… well, that and the fact that I tried one from a friend today and when connected to my iPad via an Akai EIE audio interface, it makes this LOUD static hum… even in power-saving mode…
I was planning on storing several different templates for different apps… it was quite a let down :frowning:

faderfox uc4
doepfer pocket series

No you can’t change the leds, the color or brightness. I use color tape to give me a quick visual of what track I’m using. Especially the tracks in the middle. It can get confusing, so beware of that. I love using the Launchcontrol XL personally and it’s opened up the OT for me in completely new ways. Now I can’t live without it. The knobs and faders work fantastic. The knods are not continuous but I only stay in 1 page. CALC from Novation wrote the user map on for the LCXL and he did a great job. He has a youtube demo of it. The interface I use between the Launchcontrol and OT is an iconnectmidi 4 and it works perfectly. The iconnectmidi has a great advantage because it’s a midi merger, router and thru box. I can merge a midi keyboard and Launchcontrol xl to control the OT. You should definitely look into that combo. If you really need to configure your leds then maybe a launchpad pro, Livid or Keith McMillan midi controller. I not totally sure on other options.

Hi there! Has anyone succesfully connected an APC40mk2 (through kenton midi host or similar) to the octa as external controller?
I own one, and would be nice to use it since the rotary encoders with led ring are very handful compared to nanokontrol’s knob & similar