Midi controller 4 controlling OT track levels?

I know this has been covered before. And kind of want an updated look at this.

First off pretty wild the Octatrack mixer page won’t let you adjust multiple track volumes at the same time.

When I play live I essentially use my OT like a cdj system. And I’ve always struggled with the crossfader assigned to track levels. It’s a bit too sensitive I think and even when dj’ing I use the mixer faders instead of the crossfaders.

I’ve read the Octatrack doesn’t respond to usb midi so yeah has anyone found a solution to control track levels.

Ideally I’d like something small, four faders or more that could simply adjust track volumes.

I use the OT on the same way like you, and also prefer to mix with the track levels iso the fader (though fader is useful to only play the record buffer).

I highly recommend using the controllers from Intech Studio: Get the PBF4 or EF44 + their “the knot”. Maybe not super cheap but super well made. I use the knobs to control the BW filter.

Another option the novation control launch XL and use a module to link it to the OT (here’s a video of Ricky Tinez showcasing it). Bigger in size and more knobs, but overkill for my use case.

Faderfox UC4 is great for this purpose. It has 3.5mm out so with the right adapter it can connect directly to the OT.

I see I was looking at those but didn’t see “the knot”

Most of the smaller midi devices similar are all usb and I didn’t know how to get that work I guess you just use some type of hub.

Does the uc4 have din midi or usb

Recently grabbed a faderfox ec4 to pair with an ambika synth, realized I can do substantially more mapping when I started using the web editor, while it’s 16 push encoders you can also hop between mappings or just assign a push encoder to hop between mappings, I had turned off midi to my octarack sample tracks a while ago as i tend to use it as a midi sequencer and drum machine but it maybe time to get it on again, being able to label the encoders on screens keeps me from getting lost

Faderfox can be midi USB and trs midi, don’t remember which trs but it’s the less used one (edit: type B)

3.5mm minijack MIDI in and out, which you convert to DIN MIDI with an adapter, it comes with one i think. Most of the smaller devices tend to use 3.5mm.

Oh another good option might be a Novation Launchkey Mini Mk3, which has 3.5mm MIDI out. It has 8 knobs which you can use for levels, and you can use the pads and keys for playing notes or slices. If I had to pick just one MIDI controller to plug into an OT it would probably be that one. But maybe for your needs you just don’t need keys and faders are more desirable.