Midi Clock OUT set-up?

New to ELEKTRON devices, I’m having trouble getting a MIDI CLOCK OUT from my ANALOG RYTM to my Kilpatrick Phenol MIDI IN via the midi cable…can someone walk me through each step via the AR menu to accomplish this?

Thanks
John
www.johnjpotter.com

In the GLOBAL > MIDI CONFIG > MIDI SYNC menu, activate CLOCK SEND.

In the GLOBAL > MIDI CONFIG > MIDI PORT CONFIG menu,

• set OUT PORT FUNC to “MIDI” and
  • set OUTPUT TO to “MIDI” or “MIDI+USB”.
1 Like

Thanks Peter…I’ll give it a shot!
John

1 Like

I tried to no success! What could I be doing wrong?

John

Do you have any other gear that you could use to test whether the MIDI cable is working, whether the AR is actually sending click messages, and whether the Phenol is receiving MIDI messages?

The cable is NEW and was working properly w/my QueNexus Keyboard…BUT the Phenol MIDI IN light DOES NOT LIGHT - NO MIDI MESSAGE PRESENT (IT DID WITH THE QUENEXUS)…so I’m perplexed???

be sure to enable transport send too, if you expect the AR to start the other device

1 Like

It’s always worth quickly checking the cable again.

Repeat question: do you have another device (like a computer) that can listen to MIDI clock so you can check the output of the AR?

Enabled transport send and tried another cable = still nothing…as for other devices…I’m basically an ANALOGUE MIDI-LESS musician (Buchla and Serge); my knowledge of midi is sparse…hence, my confused state! Could I be doing something wrong in the global menu or enablement process?

John

You’re welcome to post photos of the two applicable menu screens on the AR.

I don’t have an AR but it might also be worth ensuring that CLOCK RECEIVE on the AR is deactivated.

You might also try routing clock from the AR to the Phenol via USB connections to a computer. There is likely free MIDI monitor software for your computer that could check what messages are being received.

Also keep in mind that when you do get the clock out of any of the Elektron boxes, the clock doesnt reset when you press play. It’s a constant clock. Kind of annoying.

Thanks to all…PROBLEM SOLVED…MIDIot that I am, I neglected to enable midi out…Thanks to all for indulging my midiocy!!! Sorry…John

2 Likes

Hi All, I have the same problem…Could you let me know where is the option Enable Midi Out? Thank you

Look at the OUTPUT TO setting in the GLOBAL > MIDI CONFIG > MIDI PORT CONFIG menu.

Good tips! Does the analog rytm (and analog four) send clock out of only the midi out and midi thru outputs? or can clock also be sent with CV?

I’d like to connect my AR (master clock) to A4, but also to my NDLR (conductivelabs). I’d like to use the midi out of the A4 to also sequence another hardware synth. possible?

Data on the Midi thru is just a ‘copy’ of the data present at the midi in port. Any midi data generated onboard (which is transmitted) appears on the midi out port. So if you want the clock sent from a master to two other devices you’d go

AR midi out > A4 midi in

A4 midi thru > NDLR midi in.

A4 midi out > another midi synth midi in

In this set up the AR clock will be sent to A4 and NDLR. A4 can still sequence another midi synth.

1 Like

i’m starting to understand. awesome.
only problem is i’d also like to connect an arturia keystep to the A4 to control it… hmmm

so perhaps in the midi in of the AR?

That would work. you set matching midi out channel on the keystep to the receive channel(s) of the A4. This is because the keystep, being at the head of the chain, will send data to the AR, A4 and NDLR so you’ll presumably want to set them to different channels so they don’t all play the note data generated by the Keystep at the same time. So AR to receive on Ch1, A4 on ch2 and NDLR on Ch3. Now when you switch midi out channel between ch1, 2 and 3 on the keystep you’ll be able to control each instrument independently if that makes sense.

1 Like

awesome, thanks bunker!

1 Like

I have it all up and running now: A4 as master, and Rytm as slave.

when I press play on A4, the AR starts.

when I however then stop the AR (the A4 is still running) the ‘connection’ is lost.
is there a way to start the AR again in sync with the A4, without having to press stop and play again on the A4 (so without the A4 stopping?)