Midi CC Dump Request

hi forum,

does anyone know how to request a sound-parameter cc dump from
the analog four?
i want to use an external controller with endless encoders that needs
to be updated according to the parameter values the selected sound
has.

cheers and thanks!

Would be cool if there was a way to do this. It would also help for creating touch interfaces. I don’t think there is a dump command like this though.

Would like to know too!

Also the reload command doesn’t update MIDI CCs making editors unusable.

I hope the overbridge will cover this.

[quote="=FFW=>>"]hi forum,

does anyone know how to request a sound-parameter cc dump from
the analog four?
i want to use an external controller with endless encoders that needs
to be updated according to the parameter values the selected sound
has.

cheers and thanks![/quote]

Elektron has not publicly documented the SysEx implementation of the AF. Some dogged developers are likely to have manually decoded it; if they have open-sourced their code, you could probably find the answer there.

first off, thank you for the answer. then…

:confused: wow, i thought that is something obviously needed to implement a good external controller for the analog four. its not a problem with the octatrack.

from the octatrack manual p. 183:

|CC 61 | Send request, 0 = all audio CC

is there really nothing like that for the a4 yet?

[quote="=FFW=>>"]first off, thank you for the answer. then…

:confused: wow, i thought that is something obviously needed to implement a good external controller for the analog four. its not a problem with the octatrack.

from the octatrack manual p. 183:

|CC 61 | Send request, 0 = all audio CC

is there really nothing like that for the a4 yet? [/quote]
Sorry to say but also with the Octatrack, if you perform a Reload Scene your external controller will be out of sync.

i don´t know but… honestly, this is bad news.
think i will write to elektron and get back
to this topic when theres some light shed on that issue by them.

how do you guys use external controllers btw.?

I try no to use any reload function in first place.

Then I use a patch I did in Max that makes snapshots of the main parameters of my boxes, then instead of “reloading” I do recall snapshots and all stay in sync.

More info in case you wonder

Rytm/
pattern, track mutes, track level, active scene, performance levels.

Analog Four/
pattern, track mutes, track levels, performance knobs.

Snapshot is recalled using midi notes (if you set a negative micro timing for the first step, parameters are changed in advance so you don´t miss step 1)

there are 32 “banks” of 16 snapshot each (will be more banks)

bank is selected with the note velocity and snapshot with note value, this way you can place on a MIDI track on the Octatrack, one note with a fixed velocity on the first step, then use the arranger to transpose it, this way you can launch any snapshot using a single pattern trough the arranger, or use the OT keyboard.

I will add an option to link snapshots to OT A´s selected scene.

I also added a link to the OT crossfader. Any of the controlled parameters can be modulated with the OT crossfader, positively or negatively. My algorithm is relative so there won’t be jumps or anything, all adapts very well so far.

Also you can use the OT crossfader to mute unmute tracks. Basically the OT fader is divided in three posible states, A, B and “in the middle”, each of this positions can Mute, Umute or ignore any track from the RYTM or the AF. The same approach was added to RTYM scenes so you can have 3 scenes per snapshot to control them with the OT crossfader if you need them.

All parameters can be recalled instantly, quantised. or ignored. So for example you can set a snapshot to mute RYTM track 1 and set Analog four track to level to 64, and the app will do just that leaving the rest untouched, this give you a lot of freedom to improvise but at the same time helps with key points of your Live.

As soon I finish this stage I will put it public then if all works as expected I will start the hardware part with Push and the Launchpad

hi mate,

yeah your solution sounds like a way to go. but let me ask a few things.

you say that:

Analog Four/
pattern, track mutes, track levels, performance knobs.

• but how can you request those settings from the a4 within the m4l patch? you need the parameter dumps anyway, right?

my main interest is with the a4, as i am on a hybrid solution (itb/otb) atm.
im not using the other elektrons (ot/md) anymore for a bunch of reasons.

thank you for your elaborated answer and effort!

cheers

i wrote a hint/question about the thread/theme to elektron:

Hi elektron,

as i want to use an external controller (a midiboxNG) which features endless encoders, i want this controller to be “up to date” with the parameter settings on the a4. i know that with the octatrack, there is a “send dump” request (cc61) which worked quite well. i have started a topic on elektronauts about this:

Midi CC Dump Request

but there was no solution coming from the community. so, in hope there is (will be) one, im turning to you.

1 Like

My snapshots are in sync with the patterns/kits I use.
Snapshots are recalled automatically each time a pattern change (optional).
This way all stays in sync and I don´t need to retrieve anything for that set of controls.

Also as a rule, track volume is the same for all tracks/kits, and my default value for performance knobs is 0. Mute status is global so is the lesser of my problems.

If by some chance I need to use different value, let say that for a part of my show, performance F must be 127, I store that on a dedicated snapshot on my software, that snapshot will be recalled at the same time that kit/pattern is called, so all keeps synced.

In case something wrong happens I can resync parameters again from software

I avoid to use reload function, and If I accidentally perform a reload on my hardware I do the same on my software and all get in sync again.

hey gustavo,

the good people @ elektron sent me a promising answer:

Thanks for the input, this is a feature that we are aware that many users want.
However this is something we cannot fix until Overbridge is done, as OB development is priority 1 at the moment.
Also would like to add that we cannot promise that it will be included in a future OS, but we will look in to it.
<<

So, i see what you are up to with the m4l option. But actually that is no option for me as i need the controller to use the a4 solely on its own and my plans with controlling the a4 externally almost exclusively centers around using it otb…
Nonetheless, i am very looking forward to progress on the matter from your side. It sounds very promising and inspiring (to test a new scenario of using the a4).

1 Like

Anyone knows if this ever was implemented in the Analog line of machines?

Still would be interesting to know howto perform such a midi CC dump.

Faderfox EC4 would like to be up to date…

Only the Octatrack supports the parameter dump request. You are out of luck with other Elektron devices.

Hey 2023 now and i jugt got a BCR 2000 with endless Encoders which also would like to be up to date. Still no possibility to send all the cc parameter positions from the A4 back to the BCR 2000?

So i can avoid Parameter jumps when changing the Pattern and so on.

Or at least does it have an alternative Solution to avoid the jumps? Like other synths have a follow up function afaik.

Thanks in Advance!