Micromonsta 2

For example like sounds in this track, starting at around 0:45: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KX2WdvhQAE&t=45s
Or this:
https://youtu.be/n7ErBXKoZdQ?t=267

Or basically anything weird, alien, psychedelic, growly… :slight_smile: Currently Neutron and Opsix are the best I have for such things in hardware form, but Opsix is a bit large to lug around and Neutron has no patch memory, so it’s basically just one patch if I wanted to use it live. Also neither does wavetables and are just monotimbral.

Does another synth exist that so few owners have complaints about?

2 Likes

We have complaints, just not many! The main one for me is the lack of a way to trigger a sound on the MM2 itself.

7 Likes

IMHO, complaints are for bugs, defects or issues that otherwise impact the devices promised or advertised functionality. Everything else is a basically a desire or feature request.

I have no complaints with this device and my only feature request would be for a ping pong delay mode and if possible, some additional FX types like phasor. If it could be switchable on/off, I would gladly sacrifice multimode and/or some voices for the additional FX.

EDIT: Sorry, only a little coffee so far this AM… device has Chorus. I was thinking of something else aaaand it can do some of what I thought it couldn’t. I really shouldn’t reply so close to waking up. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

This! A ‘push it button’ or even a way to lfo > amp level triggers gate???

1 Like

The only complaint I have is that he can’t built them any faster. :stuck_out_tongue:

But for real though the MM2 is a steal. For 300,- euro this is the best money can buy period.
Most people see a tiny thing and therefor think it can’t be that good and their mind goes Volca hehe.

My wish would be to see a DD2. Same size as the MM2 with a couple new features added.
But I think I was told there were no plans for that. Maybe I shouldn’t have sold mine.

3 Likes

My one and only feature on the wishlist! Simple hold function for notes or basic sequencer and drone away! Is that something we can hope for @elektrosamplist?

1 Like

I think he’s been clear that he won’t entertain the notion. I do wonder why. Perhaps he wants to avoid getting dragged into sequencer hell (the button/knob config won’t support a lot without significantly degrading the UI).

Ah okay, missed that one. Bummer, but in no way a problem since this gem already has so much to offer.

1 Like

Yes! I think this was literally my first thought after unboxing it.

Ironically, though, I now use it so much for MPE that a push-button-play may not be enough :laughing:

Can you say a little more about this? I have a QuNexus Red, which in theory is an MPE controller, and has a Preset [C] for it. How might I use it with MM2? Thanks.

Edit: I figured it out. At least I got both devices speaking MPE. It may take more work to set up a patch where it sounds good!

Edit 2: This just makes me want to get an Osmose. But programming the MM2 is a lot nicer, I bet!

1 Like

Well didn’t have a chance to film yet, but just gave it a quick try and ended up going down a rabbit hole of trippy alien sounds. Deffinently more capable of strange metallic sounds then I had thought! Can’t wait to film and share the sounds with you.

2 Likes

This. And for the next MM model a proper power switch.

3 Likes

Can’t wait to hear it!

Yes, please! I said to myself I’ll never buy gear without power switch again, it’s just annoying. I might make an exception with MM2 since it seems to have so many qualities, which is quite unique in it’s size and price, but really…

1 Like

I know what you mean! I also try to avoid those, but there are a number of unique items without a power switch that I end up using often (MM2, 1010 BlueBox, Bastl Bestie, Blokas Midihub), so I have an extra power conditioner on my desk just for turning these on and off. I just flip that one power switch and whatever is connected just comes up.

I use a USB hub like this with individual switches that’s not necessarily connected to a computer to power the MicroMonsta 2 and other USB-powered devices on and off as needed:

7 Likes

Yes, you could solve the problem that way. But that does not excuse the absence of a proper power switch.

Imagine, for example, a Digitakt without a power switch. No one here would accept that. But you could solve this problem with a switchable power strip.

Im my opinion, devices without a power switch are as questionable as devices in a glossy look or in rubberized softtouch cases.

I really like my MM2, but this omission just annoys me.

Could you show me how to map something to the envelope depth of the filter in the matrix?

1 Like

It is a little confusing, so I belive on the mult page, second press of matix button then scroll 1 page. You would select envalope * X (lfo or knob, whatever) then in the matrix select filter and dept 127 or all the way.
So its the envelope *(multiplied?) or attenuated by X to the filter. Keep envalope setting on the filter page at 0 as it will be handled in the matrix now.
Correct me if I’m wrong