Microcosm | Hologram Electronics

I don’t really use it: between Blooper, Octatrack and Loupe I’m kinda set for looping, and they can all do more interesting things to the loop once it’s recorded, plus it’s almost always 100% wet in my setup since I’m using it as a send. But it does what it says on the tin: it’s a recallable phrase looper, you can modify the speed, set it in reverse, send loops through effects and imprint them. Those last bits are a little finicky because you’ve got to hit a switch to change the signal flow to have the looper switch between pre and post fx, but you probably get used to it if that’s your use case. I did find that loops were a little too quiet for me, even when I thought the loop volume was max, but I didn’t explore it enough to work out if there was a fix or if I was being a dumb-dumb somehow. I would say that if the looper is the main thing you’re after, Microcosm is beat by a lot of other devices, but it’s a nice add-on to the main attraction (the granular fx).

3 Likes

thank you

1 Like

MC looper is cool. You can loop before or after the fx, reverse and slow down. I use it next to an OT MKII, so much mangling at my fingertips!

2 Likes

Just had my delivery info- my MC will be here next week… happy Christmas! :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Having had it for over a year now, I’m definitely keeping it. It does wonders as a send effect, tweaking the knobs and recording the output always delivers something that stays in the song. It’s a winner for me. It was also my first pedal though :joy:

3 Likes

This was your first pedal? Talk about hitting the high bar right out of the gate.

3 Likes

I ended up ditching mine in favor of VSTs and eurorack effects. It was a lovely pedal but everything ended up sounding very same-y and shimmery or beat repeat-y. And changing the global settings did my head in. Impossible without the manual, imo, and necessary given that I switched between guitar and drum machine as inputs.

2 Likes

you hooked them up directly right, I’m planning to hook it up as a send on a model 12 mixer, out of curiosity what vsts and eurorack effects do you fancy to emulate the microcosm

Yeah, I did direct input. I use stock Ableton effects and Neural DSP for guitar and feel pretty good with those. In eurorack I use Desmodus Versio for reverb, Clouds Parasites firmware for granular/delay, and Data Bender for glitch.

1 Like

Has anyone used the microcosm when mixing records ?? id love to hear the feedback on using it this way

6 Likes

I can’t stand hearing the DT name being pronounced like that though :point_up::grimacing:

:smile:

For those of you who want to use the Microcosm in a more traditional way :

1 Like

Those YouTube faces! Is there a thread to discuss YouTube thumbnail faces?

2 Likes

Of course.

2 Likes

Ask @Fin25.

3 Likes

I know. Everybody wants to be unique but everybody is doing the same thing.

I’ve often thought about starting a thumbnail wankers hall of shame thread, but it’s a bit negative and bitchy for this sort of forum.

I’m much more comfortable pointing it out on a more ad hoc basis.

7 Likes

It’s your last post to @mpiecora that made me think of you.

Also, I’m wondering if people do this as a joke now.