Microcosm | Hologram Electronics

6 Likes

I can’t stand hearing the DT name being pronounced like that though :point_up::grimacing:

:smile:

For those of you who want to use the Microcosm in a more traditional way :

1 Like

Those YouTube faces! Is there a thread to discuss YouTube thumbnail faces?

2 Likes

Of course.

2 Likes

Ask @Fin25.

3 Likes

I know. Everybody wants to be unique but everybody is doing the same thing.

I’ve often thought about starting a thumbnail wankers hall of shame thread, but it’s a bit negative and bitchy for this sort of forum.

I’m much more comfortable pointing it out on a more ad hoc basis.

7 Likes

It’s your last post to @mpiecora that made me think of you.

Also, I’m wondering if people do this as a joke now.

Not a very funny one if they do.

2 Likes

People do it because there is an algorithm that YouTube uses that analyzes your thumbnail to decide where it ranks. Thumbs with faces on them get higher ranks, more contrast, and popping colors etc. You have very little room to tell a story and you want your thumbnail to do that in case people don’t read the description. So I’d say it’s not a joke but it definitely can feel a bit cringey when you are doing it.

3 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. It’s scary enough to think that the world is becoming dictated by algorithms.

You should crack on and say what you actually think

1 Like

I think everyone already knows what I think.

1 Like

You sure? That ad hoc basis is really hitting the spot?

1 Like

I have a problem with levels too. The fact I cannot trim the input is a pain the a**. I am feeding it with very hot signal (M32 and DFAM at 50% volume knob, which normally I use at 20% volume when entering pedals like Zen Delay and Empress Reverb) and it still lacks volume (peaking -18 on Ableton at max, usually between -30 and -18). I have had to set them at instrument level, live level it’s inaudible (-28 db on Ableton max) to being able to use it. FX level is always at max (which sometimes causes internal clipping). I could really use suggestions as how to tame it.

hmm that sounds odd.

I’m driving my 'Cosm from an Easel Command : main vol out / LPG gain staging is unaltered from where I normally have those set on the 208C. Then into my crappy old Yamaha mixer from the 'Cosm at a level pretty much similar to all my other gear… Mix level on the 'Cosm rarely gets above about 12 o clock. Sometimes 1 o clock if I really want lots of effect.

I just read on other forums that the quiet level is a common problem. Some people fixed it with a factory reset. Others say it depends on the effect and what you feed it. I will definetely try a factory reset today, let’s see if something changes.
Concerning the Mix, I use it way over 50% .
Strange thing is, even with the pedal bypassed (in true bypass mode) the audio is quieter than if I plug the instrument directely into the audio interface. I am thinking it attenuates the signal by a fixed threshold, probably to avoid internal clipping but the lack of control over this is quite frustrating. To make a comparison with Empress Reverb I have -10 db of attenuating always on and even with this I cannot push the m32 over 30/40% of it’s volume.

Something happening to mine is that very often I have to tweak buttons to get enough volume out. It’s like it’s not detecting or taking knob values in account atm.
Sometimes it’s the Mix knob i have to put lower and Max again and all of a sudden sound splashes out bursting my ears. Can be the Shape knob as well.