Metallic sounds / Weird Chords

Hiya guys,

A4 owner for a short while now. Absolutely LOVE it. It has changed my sound immensely.

One thing I’m having a bit of a problem with is making metallic sounds and beyond normal chord sounds. Do you guys have any advice for this A4 newbie?

Cheers

What kind of metallic tobes are you after -crunchy basses, percussion etc?

And chords too - what are thinking? Big pads, stab one finger chords, organ sounds?

Hi,
For metallic sounds - experiment with AM. This parameters you’ll find one step down at the Oscillator 2 menue.( pres Osc. 2 two times to get there ).and from there you could sync. the oscillators in different ways.
Putting a feedback-loop in Osc. 1 instead of a wave is very useful and try different pitches and volumes for both oscillators.
An other way to achieve metallic sounds is by using very high settings for the LFO’s ( as they go in to audio-rates ).
As for chords i see 2 possibilities ::: 1 - programming different pitches for the oscillators and sub’s or actully playing chords in polyphone -mode ( this can be set at track-level ) in this mode you’ll loose voices.
Ciao ! And enjoy your toy !
For metallic sounds using high resonant values and elemenating low Frequencies with a high-pass filter can be a way to go… ( i sometimes make the pitch off osc 2. float a little - with a very slow rate and intensety >>> as metal sounds (in reality) often have slow-moving frequencies in their tails - )

^^ those were basically the suggestions I was going to make XD

I try to make a tone with lots of inharmonics using noise, am, sync and pitch mod, then filter it and add movement with envs and lfos. Even modulating the modulations can be really nice - is fun because you can kind of go crazy with it then bring back down to earth.

Oh also if they are percussive sounds, it can help to turn of key tracking on the oscs, so they sound the same across the keyboard - can then use filter tracking by sequencing notes without messing with the initial tone.

Hi,
For metallic sounds - experiment with AM. This parameters you’ll find one step down at the Oscillator 2 menue.( pres Osc. 2 two times to get there ).and from there you could sync. the oscillators in different ways.
Putting a feedback-loop in Osc. 1 instead of a wave is very useful and try different pitches and volumes for both oscillators.
An other way to achieve metallic sounds is by using very high settings for the LFO’s ( as they go in to audio-rates ).
As for chords i see 2 possibilities ::: 1 - programming different pitches for the oscillators and sub’s or actully playing chords in polyphone -mode ( this can be set at track-level ) in this mode you’ll loose voices.
Ciao ! And enjoy your toy !
For metallic sounds using high resonant values and elemenating low Frequencies with a high-pass filter can be a way to go… ( i sometimes make the pitch off osc 2. float a little - with a very slow rate and intensety >>> as metal sounds (in reality) often have slow-moving frequencies in their tails - )
[/quote]
HI, Exponent One +++ for modulating modulations - I’ts possible to modulate the rate of LFO 1 in such a way that it go’s from the lowest rate. to the absolute highest rate - but you’ll have to surch for a while. ( from rate 1 or -1 at x1 >> to 2 K )