Metallic/Industrial/Steptech Drums

I am looking for different drums (not 808/909), metalic, industrial, steptech drums… and I am torn between Syntakt, A4 and believe it or not Maschine+.
What would be your advice?

(Syntakt didn’t convince me from the demos, seems kind of weak but I didn’t have it in front of me, so…)
(A4 seems very capable, but I hope I am capable enough with the sound deaign and I hope not.to be too limited in this domain)
(M+ seems great…probably just a reason to get it, cause I wanted it from long time)

All in all, I want to make the best choice, as I can get all at about the same price. (A4-mk1)

Thanks a lot!
U guys are the best!:hugs:

Can you post some examples?

1 Like

I was recently puzzled by something like this. my choice fell on the erica synths lxr-02, the form factor is excellent, individual faders per track and 4 individual outputs are a great idea for a drum machine. programming is a bit difficult but if you connect a midi keyboard everything becomes easier

3 Likes

Yep! LXR-02 me thinks! It’s sounds fat and fuzzy and has a cold digital edge. Perfect for industrial

1 Like

…all three totally capable of doing that, if u make them do that…

syntakt might be the one, where u’ll get it out the easiest…it’s various, simplified to max sound engines, plus the truu analog ones can get u anwhere pretty fast without running out of voices too soon…
while a4 is more overall otherworldy organic and pretty deep to tickle…and for complex various voicings u really need to know what ur doing since u got to unlock the full pontential of it’s 4 truu mono synth engines first, including the terretory of sound locks…

1 Like

steer clear of a4 for industrial/metallic drums. people will no doubt reply that it can do industrial drums, etc., and it kinda can, but it takes way more finesse than you want.

lxr-02 is a good one. don’t overlook the digitakt, either :).

1 Like

I suspect @Jeanne has a thing or two to say about Syntakt and industrial sound design :wink:

4 Likes
1 Like

As already mentioned check Jeanne’s demos for industrial og distorted stuff, nobody does it better and has delved deeper into that branch on the Syntakt imo.

As for the link you posted, there are some sampled hats and snares which will be tough to achieve on the Syntakt. The other sounds (kicks etc) I think it can do fairly well with some external compression.

I’m currently trying to do some drum’n’bass on the Syntakt, and personally I think it’s hard work to achieve a crunchy and “edgy” enough sound. The Syntakt has sort of rounded/soft edge to it by nature. That might be due to my inabilities though :slight_smile:

It’s certainly possible to craft / hone the sounds in minute detail on the Syntakt if you put in the time, and sometimes new worlds open up after hours of tweaking. Inspiring box, for sure.

3 Likes

Thank you!
ALL
To tell ypu yhe truth I incline more to the analog nature of A4 or the flexibility of M+… at the moment.
(To me Syntakt doesn’t bang hard enough, MC seems more)

Hey, Syntakt has eight digital and four analog tracks, but also the flexible analog FX drive (Analog Four has no bus drive at all) with filter - a lot of tracks and this flexibility enables all kinds of modern production techniques just in this one box …

Syntakt also gives the metallic snares (older sketch): :wink:

here are some of my Syntakt tracks, all straight out of the Syntakt without post-pro:

Industrial …

Hard Techno …

Gabber …

And a draft of something recent I am working on, a mix between Riddim (closest I got to something-step I got :stuck_out_tongue: ) and Doomcore:

… there’s a lot more in a lot more styles (from 90’s techno to power noise) on my channel :wink:

10 Likes