Meris Ottobit Jr Bitcrusher

Just pre-ordered this.

https://www.meris.us/product/ottobit-jr/

4 Likes

Dude. Yes. That thing is brilliant.

I’m curious. It’s mono in but stereo out, could you plug a 2 mono to stereo cable into that without losing some stereo?

1 Like

Specs/Photo show it is stereo in.

2 Likes

Thanks for heads up on this. One for the list…

1 Like

You’re welcome.

My pre-order MPC Live money has been raided to pre-order this. Hopefully recoup it ASAP.

2 Likes

If anyone’s interested in pre-ordering this, I’ve heard direct from Meris that units should definitely be available in the UK by the end of April, for delivery 1st week in May.

Oh boy this one is hot

1 Like

In stock now at Gear4music.

Mine’s being delivered tomorrow.

2 Likes

how is it? just ordered one and mercury7, look amazing

Looks good.
Seems inspired by OTO Biscuit, even the name.
Would be nice to hear how it compares as a bitcrusher/srr/filter.
Slightly different feature set though.
Should sell well especially as the Biscuit is no longer available.

Annoyed to say I haven’t even had time to try it yet.

Hopefully on Sunday when my wife takes our son out I’ll give it a go.

Regarding the Mercury 7, I’m still undecided if I should get one. Would like to hear more demos.

1 Like

I bought one of these and am stunned by its audio quality. absolute pristine! and much more versatile than expected. the filter sounds beautiful and the whole thing adds to the palette quite a bit. can’t recommend enough

2 Likes

Im curious, what instrument/process you using the unit for? I was thinking about getting this and playing keys thru it. I have a DX7II (waiting on it to show up) and it has a reputation for being pretty clean so the stereo bit crushing and even the stutter sound appealing. I’m curious how well it handles synths and polyphony.

currently I have only run melodic content from the NordDrum2 through it - in mono. So I can’t really comment on the polyphony and stereo aspects. Curious though what it does to mono signals. Haven’t explored this part yet. Typical drum machine stuff lends it self to it and I feel it also shines on tones with long sustain. I’ll test when I get to it…cheers

Bump.

Any updates on this one? Still sold out everywhere but I did get the Meris Mercury Reverb and it’s been quite a fun addition.

thing is the bee’s knees for sure. the LP filter is fully stereo from what I gather - and sounds absolutely stunning. kind of moog style filter but with more clarity and fidelity (if that makes sense). had they given the pedal resonance control, it’d be worth it for the filter alone. running (digital) polyphonic stuff through it, reveals a tonne of texture and sounds great. my volca FM (like the ND2) seems a match made in heaven and everything “glassy” does benefit quite a bit from it. I chained it with my vermona retroverb and the sound makes me all giddy.
mind you: I’m not into chip tune sounds at all and usually I settle for subtle settings - just to dirty things up … but extreme settings sound crisp as and come in handy for sound design. the sequencer and stutter effect prove surprisingly useful and are quite fun. I now wish my mixer had more sends so I don’t have to commit to its place in the chain. Only critique I would have is the bit reduction which doesn’t really respond like I would expect and seems to have little effect at first and then kicks in suddenly to destroy your signal beyond recognition. I 'm sure there’s some logic behind I’m missing. like any modern pedal it has a bunch of “hidden” features - which I have yet to explore all in detail.
def worth chasing one down buddy - as you can tell im quite fond of it

1 Like

Very promising, thank you for the update. The stutter is def at the bottom of the list of features on the box I was after; sample reduction, that filter, sequencer and the bit crusher where all worth it. How do you feel about the stutter in the long term. I watched one video and it seemed like the stutter specifically was one trick pony (if you count all the patterns as part of that trick). Kind of like a really heavy pattern based photocell tremolo going on.

So almost 2 & a half months after getting it I finally got to play.

I have query though.

Regardless of all other dials/settings if the Stutter dial is turned fully left i can hear the effects/signal panning in Stereo, but once i start to turn the Stutter dial clockwise the effects/signal is mono.

Is this normal?

Cheers

Got an email from Merris to say the behaviour mentioned above is normal - Stutter effects are mono.

2 Likes

Asked Meris about the sample rate & bits knobs setting. Got this. Thought it might be useful since it is not in the manual:

6 Likes