Meng Qi Wing Pinger

Wow, really nice!

1 Like

Nice video Robin, when are we going to see you on Knob Twiddlers Hangout again, was my favourite episode :+1:

1 Like

Thought I became immune for GAS. Until this Meng Qi Wing Pinger happened.
:mage:
It’s back.
Clowning around in my skull.
:clown_face: :skull:
Bedtime.

2 Likes

hopefully when they let me back in :slight_smile:

1 Like

Apologies if my videos are too frequent, but in the absence of other videos online I thought it would be of interest to share the possibilities of this beautiful instrument. Here’s a far more improvised East Coast focused session, short and possibly a little sweet. And hopefully not as noisy as the previous one

9 Likes

Banana version or Eurorack version, not sure which one I should go for. (Will be pre-ordering at Schneidersladen soonish).

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Found this sweet YT demo from Superbooth 20 Home Edition with explanations by Dr. Meng Qi.

2 Likes

YES, my kind of noodling.

WingPinger, Lyra8 and OT + a few fx and I am done with gear :smiley:

2 Likes

Those are some beautiful sounds you’re getting out of this device Robin, thanks for sharing! I’d like to pick one up at some point, I love having visually pleasing noisemakers around the studio to inspire me and to throw through effects for sampling.

BTW I saw you at the Northampton Royal & Derngate Theatre in 2013 for the Live_Transmission: Joy Division Reworked performance and had an incredible time!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your response, much appreciated!

Ah, that was a very special show indeed. I only wish we’d been able to release the recordings of this show. It was recorded on 24 track and ready for release but got locked up in legal rights, almost to be expected. No-one was going to make money but everyone seemed to think they were going to get rich from it. I need to work out a way to get this recording into the hands of people one day though!

2 Likes

I did wonder what happened to that show, I guess it makes it all the more special that it was exclusive! I was an undergrad Music at the time and your work was mentioned in class, so it was cool to have you come to our neck of the woods. I was also really into Three Trapped Tigers so it was a match made in heaven.

1 Like

I see that SynthAnatomy picked this as one of the best experimental hardware synths of 2020.

ASIDE: Other synths picked by SynthAnatomy for 2020
  • Moog Subharmonicon
  • Eowave Quadrantid Swarm
  • Elta Music Solar 50
  • Neutral Labs Elmyra
  • Gamechanger Audio Motor Synth
  • Erica Synths SYNTRX
  • Herbs and Stones Liquid Foam
  • Vector Synthesizer 2.0
2 Likes

A little more Wing Pinger fun for anyone interested. A more rhythmic pulsing approach today.
Happy viewing!

6 Likes

I hope this isn’t over doing things but this patch appeared almost like magic today. It’s an expansive 23 minute live recording of the Wing Pinger, in a very ambient, meditative mood. I encourage you to listen to this back on speakers or headphones, or else you’ll miss out on some very deep and sensual bass sounds too. This is definitely an instrument that keeps revealing itself in new ways.

5 Likes

I like this instrument so much! Might put some stuff on Reverb tonight to fund this beauty.

Are there any other owners/users here besides Robin?

2 Likes

Ping Garden, free software instrument!

2 Likes

Out today - my album entirely recorded on the Wing Pinger. No other instruments or animals were used or harmed in the making of this album (although sometimes it might just sound like it) :grinning:

Also available to listen to on all those fancy modern digital listening places such as iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, oh you name it, it might even be there! Happy listening!

10 Likes

Sounding great, thanks for sharing and congrats on the album release! Such a mysterious and beautiful instrument, it begs to be touched.

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words Claid! It’s a mysterious instruments that reveals itself every now and then, whilst retreating into noise at other times. I did my utmost to tame this wild creature here :grinning:

And it’s a tribute to a great designer too, Meng Qi!!

1 Like