MegaCommand // MiniCommand Resurrection // MCLive

DEV QUESTION: Ok, second one for the day. I have one more unit that BTN2 is not working on… at ALL. I can´t go to the meny, i can´t do anything. Checked all components, reflowed all the soldering points.
Any hints?
I will pull out the button to see if it is the culprit, but troubleshooting os not my most developed skill. I can handle eagle reasonably well but are there any things that i should look at first?
Any test program that i can run, and how , if so, do i use it?

When i press the button, where should i measure “someting happening”?

Cheers and thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Peering issue likely means a problem with MIDI communication on port 1.

But this could also mean that the SRAM is not functioning correctly.

Have you run the SRAM test?

2 Likes

You should follow the build procedure, which requires testing at the completition of each stage. This makes it easier to narrow down problems.

You can open an issue on GitHub, for troubleshooting the circuitry.
There’s already a thread covering problems with buttons + encoders.

3 Likes

Thank you, i will check the suggestions. Great with testing possibilities, i just haven’t done it before and don’t have a slightest idea how to even begin. But i will try and do as you suggest. :slight_smile:

Regarding the peering-issue i mentioned a few posts ago, i tried the sdram-test first with a unit that i have no problem with and get this… and nothing else. Waited 15 minutes, no other happening. Ok i presume?

And with the faulty unit i get this, which i guess is not normal? :wink: The questionmarks just goes on and on the longer i wait…

Suggestion on how to proceed from here? Start a github issue seems like an obvious choice!

You should see that screen after SRAM Test procedure

1 Like

Thanks for that @nicoj, i obviously have something not right in the setup for testing; will walk through everything to find what differs in my setup. This is getting annoying!

top screenshot of yours there should be output

bottom one…dumb question…but is the nose of the RAM in the correct orientation?

1 Like

Yes, i Saw that in nicoj’s post. I’m pretty sure the orientation is right, but Will check again and add a pic to the post

Just a quick note to say thank you for all your time and energy in making this project happen. Really enjoying learning the Megacommand, albeit slowly! :smiley:

Can I ask what might be an obvious question? I’m trying to access the step sequencer for the Analog Four/Ext Midi

From the manual:
To enter the PolyStep edit mode:
Enter the MD Step Edit mode by pressing [PageSelect + Trigger 5]. Then Press the [Save] button to enter PolyStep Edit Page.

When hitting save in MD Step Edit mode I only seem to be able to engage REC ?
I am unable to access the PolyStep Edit Page.

Hi again,

checked, orientation is good. I always follow the marks on the board.
This one has the lower left pushbutton not working; no reaction at all.
When i run the button test all buttons except this changes from 1 to 0.

But i am unsure if i do the testing right, i follow instructions but somehow it feels like i´ve missed some step in setting it up for testing. I need to read up on the procedure again. You´ve seen the SRAM test procedure… well, on the first picture in my message above that unit is working perfectly but all that shows are those two lines and then it stops.
I have only connected it to the computer via USB at the time, verify is fine and upload too. Anything else i need to do for testing purposes?

How do i know if i have core installed, or how do i find it and install it? I thought it was installed but realize now this might be the culprit? I have of course installed midictrl and followed instructions here: GitHub - jmamma/MIDICtrl20_MegaCommand: A functional port of MIDICtrl20 and the associated core of the Arduino IDE and ArduinoMega Hardware

Gonna start an issue on github as instructed of course…

Anyhow, here´s the one with the button problem:

Oh, and the solder joints on the left side ARE good, it´s just the light that make them look odd. :slight_smile:

Is there a reason on why aren’t used sockets for the IC’s? More high than the display? Case space?

Most likely they would be too big for the case. There are little space left when the board is mounted in the case.

1 Like

Which version of MCL are you running? The current manual (for version 2.7) is out of date with latest MCL version 3.01a

The changelog for 3.0 covers the new features and changes:
See section " Ext MIDI Sequencer:" and “PianoRoll + Automation Editor:”

1 Like

Scrambled text in the “Serial Monitor” generally means a serial communication problem between PC and the Arduino 2560. This usually happens when the baud rate is set incorrectly, but I see you are using the correct 9600 baud.

You could try swap the Arduino for another and see if that resolves the problem?

1 Like

Thanks Justin, reading through the change log helped, i just hadn’t made the connection about the piano roll Edìtor being for the A4. Much appreciated :+1:

1 Like

It can be used for any attached MIDI device on port2 (synth/sound module), not just the A4.

2 Likes

Mmm, I don’t like that much this way to solder IC’s directly to the board for through hole…
I need to check once I get the components, perhaps the display can be placed too via socket, encoders don’t need to be placed all the way down, they can be tightened with the nut to the case…
the only thing is about the pushbutton height, they can be lower than the higher space if sockets are used.
Need to check if it is fine to use a “1S” model cap that come in different heights (is the one used for Ornament and Crime eurorack module, same manufacturer) instead of the “1D” cap model that has only 1 height option. The push button should be the same.
Of course I’ll need to make a new case, time to approach 3D printing.

MCL 3.10 released: :rocket: in conjunction with MD X.04

The new firmware provides support for MD X.04 and adds a number of improvements to MIDI, chain mode and more.

As always, read the changelog for details.

4 Likes

Yes!!! :thup: :love_you_gesture: :smiley: :star_struck: