MegaCommand // MiniCommand Resurrection // MCLive

Ok, i wont put you on the list then but check if you want one of the extras… your Honolulu PCB might still arrive, i’ve been waiting for 5 weeks now myself for some PCB’s that are stuck in Chicago int departures…

this one will really seal your place in history. very excited!

Good thing I didn’t include a pineapple and some poke…

1 Like

Woow great. I assume no way to audio preview the sample??

Hey guys,

anyone mind to help/explain/build me with MegaCommand? I’m not really sophisticated with stuff like this, but i’d love to use my machinedrum with “full” potential…

Greetings!

No, that´s a bit too much i´m afraid. To build it you have to learn the basics of small electronics and soldering first, then go into detail with SMD soldering and so on and so forth. It´s quite a learning curve and very hard to explain so no one is going to help you with that here. You better start from the beginning on your own. Sorry, but that´s it.

Better is to pay someone to build a unit for you, or find one on the used market. If you are europe-based i might build one for you - if i decide i can be bothered to do it, not 100% sure yet. I gotta build a unit for myself, and i might aswell build a couple more the same time. But i won´t build a large number of units, a but 3-4 extra should be possible. I´ve got all the equipment to do it since i´ve been (and still do) building a lot of eurorack modules for myself and others, but time is the problem with a tiny toddler running around my legs and shouting, demanding attention… :slight_smile:

If you are interested, and as i wrote, in the EU, send me a PM and we will chat.

Its not hard. I haven’t soldered anything major before doing this.
There no SMD skills needed. Just some skinny solder and a finer point for some of the smaller pins (I’m looking at you SD card holder). I’d recommend having some solder wick on hand in case.

Its pretty straightforward. Just take your time and ask questions before you solder. Its not fun unsoldering the display. Ask a-many people here . :wink:

1 Like

@mbang @micabeza thank you so much for your replies! I will think about it!

Greetings!

Maybe this should go in the github issues but figured I’d ask here first.
I’m having some issues using my megacommand, most likely pebcak so any help is appreciated. After building it I played around a bit with the sequencer mostly and didn’t notice any issues but now that I’m trying to dig deeper I’m running into the following:

I can’t get the MC to forward/output clock on the 2nd midi port.
Things are set up as follows:
MD on in & out 1, in 2 receives a clock input (using USAMO) and out 2 is connected to a tr-8.
In the MC midi menu clck rec is set to port 2 and clock send is set to port 2. Forwarding midi from port 1 to 2 works just fine, but when monitoring for clock it shows no output.

The gain page doesn’t appear to function as expected. I turn the knob to set the gain and press Yes/Save but this results in the VOL of the MD tracks decreasing, each successive adjustment makes it go down a bit until it’s at zero. The track Levels do not change at all.

Obviously the clock issue is easily resolved by using a midi thru box but just wanted to check if I’m missing something. Cheers.

If it’s any idea about shipping to you,
I sold an interface on reverb last week.
Shipping Honolulu to continental US. It’s been a week and it finally gonna get there Tuesday or Wednesday…
So yours is probably taking the slow boat.

I had to double check the code on this one. Clock transmit on Port 2 is disabled if Clock Receive is set for Port 1. The idea was to prevent a MIDI CLOCK loop. I didn’t anticipate two separete devices connected to port 2 in and out respectively.

I see your use case is valid, I’ll flag this for attention in next release.

Regarding the Loudness page and Gain.

MCL has a feature called “Normalize” accessible in
Global Settings -> Machinedrum -> Normalize (Default: AUTO)

When Normalize is to AUTO, saving an MD track to the Grid will cause the track’s LEVEL to be automatically increased to 127, and the track’s VOL will be reduced to compensate.

The result is the track loudness is the same, but the Maximum volume is always when LEV is set to 127.

This makes performing over a variety of patterns much easier, as you do not have to remember the maximum loudness / LEVEL settings for each track.

The gain page works in the same way, it will only adjust the VOL parameter and will force track level to 127.

The manual has more on this:

As a general rule of thumb, the track LEV parameter should control the absolute volume of a track whilst the VOL parameter should be used to control the relative level. This allows setting a sound level to its maximum loudness by turning the LEV parameter to 127.

2 Likes

Please bear with me, but I had read all of this thread, I have read the manual, I have been through the Github and I cannot find anywhere instructions on how to update the firmware.
I would like to update to the latest firmware, so if someone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful
Thanks

Firmware on the MD or the MC?

For MC; go to the GitHub page, navigate to “releases” (https://github.com/jmamma/MIDICtrl20_MegaCommand/releases) and everything is explained there.

For MD; I only have experience updating from a Mac and use sysex librarian (https://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/) to send the MD updates and such. The update procedure is explained in the MD manual.

1 Like

It’s the MC, the MD I’ve done
As I said I’ve been to the GitHub and all it says is to use the tools provided, so as I’m on Windows I’ve used the Xloader and selected the oled bin and run it and then get ‘Upload has failed’ over and over
Does the MC need to be in a certain mode?
There’s something I’m missing and I don’t know what
Thanks

You need to connect the MC via usb to your computer.

In Xloader.exe you need to select the mcl_*_oled.hex and then the COM port that the MC is connected to. Then press Upload.

Text “Uploading…” should be displayed. Wait for this to complete with “XXX bytes uploaded”.
MC will restart when upload is complete showing new version number on boot.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply
That is what I did last night for hours with no result
This morning, without changing anything I tried again and it worked first time, go figure.
Thanks again

2 Likes

What options do i need to pick when ordering the OLED from here? i2c and then whatever wire connectors?

What does native support mean for the A4?

pin-header connection 4-wire SPI

3 Likes

An update for you guys who has entered the list for the european “group buy” of MegaCommand PCB´s - and also a shout out to everyone else that might be interested!

We are currently at 42 units to be ordered and the magic number is 50, then i pull the plug and prepare the order. I will order from a cheap but very good chinese manufacturer that i´ve used before and they are half the price compared to pcbway so… good stufff.

I´m calling out to see if there´s any late takers that want´s to be in on the action. With 8 free spots on the list i hope we can fill it up in just a few days.

The PCB´s will be cheap, probably about €2 each or less! Shipping from me to you not included of course.
Let me know asap if you wanna join us!

Cheers,
Marcus

2 Likes