MegaCommand // MCL 4.51

Bug?: When playing the CTRL channel externally, if the octave is set above 0 in Chromatic mode, the lowest notes can no longer be played. The higher the octave is set to, the more notes in the lower space can’t be played. Suggestion: Don’t apply octave logic to incoming notes (have it only apply to the TI).

2 posts were split to a new topic: Non marketplace off topic

Bug: Multi-track sounds loaded in the sound manager have unexpected mute position settings. (For example a linked sound loaded to tracks 4 and 5 results in track 4 and 5’s MUTE POS being set to track 1. There was no MUTE POS set when the sound was saved.)

Feature requests:

In the Sound Manager, move the SAVE action to the context menu.

Add OVERWRITE action to context menu, which saves the current sound using the selected sound’s name.

Sort files alphabetically

Is it possible to still use the swing feature maybe I’m missing something if not are there any plans to reimplement this?

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:
MCL currently does not feature swing as a performance tool for the MD at the moment but offers microtiming instead.
Given that reimplementation of swing has been asked for multiple times, I could imagine - and also personally hope - that this might be done at some point in the future

1 Like

workaround for those desperate for swing:
build a basic pattern in extended mode, add swing to taste. import pattern into MCL, it will hardwire the swing positions by shifting swung trigs (pretty accurately).

i miss real time swing adjustment too. but can do more with microtiming (although i feel the MDs swing maybe higher res than the MCLs 192 mt positions)

8 Likes

Yush… waft casually delivers some sneaky workaround!
Crazy that i did Not think about that at all…

3 Likes

hi there,

after years of lurking finally created an account just for this. first off, thank you so much for all your work on this. insanely cool project. I’ve been using the new OS for quite awhile and finally got my MCL wired up tonight, but unfortunately, I’m not quite able to get it to work. I’ll try to give the fullest description of what I’m experiencing here:

• I have a non-UW regular SPS-1 mk2. it played very nicely with OS 5 for many months.
  • I upgraded the MCL to version 4.11 and MD to version X.06 (I’ve actually done each of these steps twice just to verify there wasn’t something caused in the update)
  • everything peers fine. in enhanced mode I can see the trigs that I set on the MD appear as expected on the MCL. other features work fine interfacing between the two, i.e. the mixer will correctly adjust the volume of a track, etc.
  • however, none of the trigs that I set in enhanced step-recording mode make any noise when I play the pattern. if I toggle to classic or extended mode and put some trigs down, they work just fine (they even play in enhanced mode, though they don’t show up on either the MD or the MCL indicators). if I am not in step recording mode and just use the trigs to audition each track sound in enhanced mode, I can hear them fine, so this isn’t purely an audio issue. I’ve tried different kits, etc.
  • similar behavior exists in chromatic mode (i.e. I can see the trigs I press correctly registering on the MCL screen, but there is no sound that comes out of the MD)
  • perhaps unrelatedly, perhaps not - using live recording mode via the MD while in enhanced mode does not record any trigs, where the original two modes work fine still

am I missing something / can I fill in any blanks for debugging? at a loss here.

thanks so much for your time.

EDIT: okay wow after all that, finally got it working, but only when I am not clocking the device externally via midi track 2. chromatic mode is still not working but getting somewhere now.

1 Like

Thanks for the work around I’ll give that a go, it’s the only thing I miss ! Hopefully it’s implemented at some point

If you set MIDI CLOCK to Port 2. The sequencer start/stop must come from the 2nd MIDI port. (I’ll probably separate clock from transport in a future update)

Not sure of your chromatic mode issues, maybe jump on the discord and someone can help work you through the issues one by one.

2 Likes

wow what a small detail to overlook, but that definitely worked. guess I didn’t understand the idea of ‘transport’ as well as I thought.

and sounds like it’s time to join discord too… is it just an elektronauts channel or is there an MCL focused one specifically?

thanks!

2 Likes

@mbang Still not making builds of these? Saw your signature on gearspace that says you offer builds. Anyone else can build one for me or do I order on megacmd.com? I’m based in Copenhagen.

And let me just ask some questions about the MCL:

Does it offer more that microtiming, individual track lengths and conditional trigs? Conditional trigs is what I miss the most. Read waftlords post about "shift entire pattern left/right” which sounds awesome!

Do you still have midi in, out and thru? I need ext midi in from Octatrack.

What happens with the programmed patterns when the MCL is not connected? Will they still contain the conditional trigs etc. or lose them?

Does it have track chance like the new machines or any plans of this?

@JustinValer is this a good time to buy or do you have some changes to the MCL hardware coming up?

@Soarer i am making the last custom batch with three different case color, Five different led colors. Still making builds, one ordered just an hour ago. :slight_smile: I can absolutely make you One!
I cant anser the specifics, but check the manual , https://github.com/jmamma/MCL/releases/download/4.11/MCL_Documentation_4_1.pdf

1 Like

I thought you hung up your building smock this year @mbang :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

with latest updates this is now one or two MD button presses away within enhanced track menu, very nice.

1 Like

Yeah, just gotta finish the last batch. And it’s hard to say no; i refer to Justin but when they want a specific look, and i have PCBs and some time to spare, i give in. :slight_smile:

But, as i wrote, this is the last. Promise!
Like last world tour of many old rock bands… :wink:

1 Like

OT to MCLs second input. then you can forward midi messages flexibly from there to 2nd output.

if you switch to extended the MCL pattern will trigger but without full functionality (need to check if conditionals are still active).
I switch a lot between extended OG and enhanced MCL (different sound and very different brain wiring), best practise is to have blank slot loaded on respective device to avoid confusion. Then import MD pattern to MCL if you want to utilise enhanced features fully.

do you mean the 100%-1% thing, no it doesn’t.

1 Like

polyphony, arp, chromatic track input, quantised output routing, two extra LFOs, RAM slicer dicer, instant key combo access to FX pages.
I noted you like CTR-ALL, this is quite limited in enhanced mode.

1 Like