MegaCommand // MCL 4.51

And what about saving /loading patterns, kits and snapshots? Same thing like on the MD or has that now to be done via the MC?
And does it still save its current state when you shut down MD and MC?

Sorry for all the questions - I tried reading the manual but english isn’t my native language and I’m struggling a bit with complicated technical stuff…

2 Likes

Loading and saving “patterns” is done by MC but operated on MDs user interface. You can still save kits (not certain about snapshots given that I have no MD at hand) but MC’s structure invites to rather work in its incorporated grid.
Current state is saved if devices are shut down.

Regarding further questions regarding comprehension, content or whatsoever, feel free to join the dedicated discord :slight_smile: (https://discord.gg/VhkeGm42)

1 Like

Regarding the pattern system it’s way more flexible on the MC than it is on the MD itself. It’s a bit difficult to explain as it’s kind of complex.

On the MC you save slots that contains the sound and the pattern of a specific track. When you enter the save slot menu by hitting fn+yes you have the choice of saving just a specific slot or all the slots at once which basicaly is the equivalent of a pattern. Those slots are organised in rows on a grid. One row = a pattern that you can access with the bank and pattern buttons juste like on the MD system.
But now you can mix and match different slots from different rows as you can load slots from any rows via the arrows button. You navigate through you pattern in the grid and choose to load one particular slot of one specific pattern. You can also chain slots.

It’s a bit overwelming at first but then you realise how flexible it is. And you you can also just use it in a more linear way by just saving and loading entire rows which is the equivalent of saving and loading a pattern + a kit.

The kit system is now a bit less decisive because the sound informations are contained in the slot/row system. It also makes the song mode a bit irrelevant.

3 Likes

Thanks again, that makes it a bit clearer - I guess I’ll just have to read tge manual a few tines to get the hang of it.
But from the way you’re describing it, it sounds rather flexible.

I’m still not sure how snapshots work in this context but I’ll figure it out eventually. At the moment I’m use the snapshots as projects, with some of them only containing one or two patterns.

So I’ll probably have to change that practice once I have a MC…

I don’t know if you need snapshots for anything anymore as all pattern and machine data are stored in the Megacommand.

1 Like

That would make backups a lot easier, as I wouldn’t have to dump every single snapshot as sysex file… :grin:

The sample banks for ROM machines are still stored in the MD however. I don’t know if you can send them to the Megacommand somehow, I haven’t yet gotten that far.

1 Like

That’s okay, I don’t use the Machinedrum for sampling anyway.

Anybody offering building/ assembling MCLs here on the forum?

Cheers

flo

Worth joining the discord for heads up on some developments around this.

1 Like

I’m considering adding a MnM to my setup (MDUWmkII + MCL) - the manual doesn’t really say much about this configuration or if there’s any advantage specific to MnM. It seems like “not really” - the MD+MCL just acts as an external sequencer/clock to the MnM, so it doesn’t seem as if the MCL provides much here if I’ve already got things hooked up through a MIDI interface that handles that kind of routing for me?

MCL has a 6 track midi sequencer on its Y grid with all the bells and whistles. Using this you can send note information to the mnms 6 tracks with variable track length/conditionals/chords etc.

You can mute/unmute these midi tracks from the MDs interface.

The Y grid also stores 4 AUX tracks for the patterns bpm, FX and other data.

This means there’s still 6 unused tracks on grid Y. :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

How would I get external clock in that situation where MD>MCL<MnM is the configuration?

you would need a midi merger taking your EXT clock source and an MCL out into either the MD or MnM.

1 Like

Or a USB MIDI hub, I really like such solution because it makes it easy to route the signals in and out.
My fav is the MIO4, but there are other solutions… Check this:
https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=usb%20midi%20hub

For everyone that has been asking:

Prebuilt MegaCommands are now available at http://megacmd.com

20 Likes

Whoa - awesome! I Just placed my order - a can’t wait to get my hands on it!
I was wondering has there been a video demonstrating the usage of MD X.05 together with an MCL? (Or oder demos?)

Cheers!

Ah, too bad, I’m struggling with parts coming from here and there, the PCB from elsewhere, enclosure yet to print, and unavailable parts…
Must finish the DIY nightmare.

those look really clean. i like your take on the midi portion of the case too!

1 Like

Love the new compact built. Tempting to up/side grade. Notice no power switch or power supply input. Any particular reason for the change?

1 Like