MeeBlip cubit go: USB MIDI anywhere, with ultra-tight timing - CDM Create

Interesting.

3 Likes

looks nice…reminds me of something (no MIDI input on this one though) :smile_cat:

2 Likes

Ordered.

I didn’t have a MIDI interface with a Thru port for my iPad. This is much cheaper and more compact than other solutions that I’d considered.

1 Like

If it’s a class compliant USB MIDI device then it’s not going to help timing to and from the computer, because the timing bottleneck there is the USB subsystem at the OS level, not the hardware itself. Sounds like this is a USB interface with a MIDI equivalent to the direct/zero-latency monitoring common in audio interfaces - MIDI recieved at the input can be passed directly to the outputs so you can use a hardware controller or sequencer with hardware synths while recording the MIDI stream on a computer, without outing the MIDI through the computer back out to the synths and taking on all of the USB timing issues. I can’t see how it could help with USB-MIDI timing issues though, unless it was using a proprietary driver/plugin of some kind that tricked the OS into treating the MIID data stream as a timing critical data stream (i.e. audio), which works very well but doesn’t seem to be what’s happening here, unless I missed something in the product description.

What I’d love to see is a device like this that also uses a “MIDI-as-audio” setup similar to the Expert Sleepers devices, but bi-directional (so you can actually record MIDI with tight timing as well as playing it back - the Expert Sleepers hardware is output-only) and with integrated USB audio so you wouldn’t hve to use your existing audio hardware (the Expert Sleepers stuff connects to audio outputs on your interface). A box exactly like this that would be recognized as an audio device by the OS and use a plugin to convert MIDI in the daw to audio for USB output (and converting MIDI to audio at the hardware level for input) would be an instant buy for me.

2 Likes

It’s class compliant usb midi.

Specs are here

Also apparently it‘s not a midi thru box (but they also have a midi thru box), so the midi in goes first into the computer and then to the four outputs which is just one port mirrored across four outputs.

From CDM:

Source: https://cdm.link/2019/08/meeblip-cubit-go-usb-midi-anywhere-with-ultra-tight-timing/

I made the mistake of thinking it could be also stand alone … and I bought it … damn

Yeah the “Cubit Go: USB midi anywhere” tagline is more than a little misleading. I used to really like CDM but the site redesign is so much worse to browse and lately a lot of the content has just felt like paid ads.

Especially that it is presented like the first cubit with the possibility to use USB also:

That makes cubit go the perfect follow-up to our cubit splitter, introduced earlier this year. You still get four outs with identical timing – but now in a USB MIDI interface you can connect to your computer or mobile device.

With picture without any computer

Yeah, I also thought it was a stand alone midi thru box + usb midi interface at first.
I read the whole article on cdm and the comments, because I wanted to find out what the ultra-tight timing was all about and Peter Kirn posted in the comments what this actually does and what it doesn’t.

The choice of words and pictures are a bit misleading imho and a bit too much confusion there…

1 Like