MD mkii or Syntakt + Digitone?

I make weird sound design - tactile, close and digital. I have a Syntakt and thinking to get a Digitone to go with it. But then I was also thinking to sell the Syntakt and instead get a Maxhinedrum (non UW, I have a 404 mkii) and an awesome midi controller? Not sure. The Syntakt feels very basic to me - not a ton of Params to tweak and modulate. Obviously the Digitone has a ton of sound design options - so maybe I get 2 digitones for 2x the voices? That seems like a waste maybe…

I have a budget - $1600 - any thoughts?

1 Like

I mean…the MD is a phenomenal piece of kit from a sonic perspective, plenty of different sounds to work with- and that’s before getting into the modulation capabilities.

However, the workflow definitely feels dated(and, oh yeah, you’ll feel it).

No saving individual sounds- everything’s in kits. Thats a big one.

That might be ok with me - I can just sample sounds to my SP-404 mkii

1 Like

Virus ti2

i’d say get a faderfox or similar for the extra params adjusting you’re keen on and give the syntakt and dn another go.
some damage you can do there.

yes the md is somewhat coveted in a sense but with a progressive mind, having overbridge and the updated features wins for me, not even mentioning the vast sound scape both can achieve.

1 Like

Yeah interesting. Was also looking at the Waldorf Kyra but not sure if that’s right for me.

If you’re going to do that, then just get a digitone honestly

Sample the percussion sounds and then perform synth lines while jamming on the sp404

2 Likes

How long have you been using syntakt? As with all the takts/Digis it might seem basic at first but you gotta go deeper. Use the basic functionality and stretch it out of its form. Use machines for anything but their original purpose etc. The fx block also creates a lot of possibilities to add on top of that.

My 2 cents. But I’m of course completely in the dark about your syntakt endevours. I’ve heard people call Digitakt basic and even digitone. They’re not really :slight_smile:

In any case, can’t recommend digitone enough. It’s awesome :+1:

4 Likes

Octatrack

1 Like