MD + MCL via Kenton Merge-4?

Hi there, I was trying to connect MD to MCL via Kenton Merge-4 and for some reason it does not work. I need another MIDI IN for my MD - I want to be able to use MCL + my TouchOSC parameter controller on my tablet at the same time (= so two MIDI INs) but it seems MCL does not peer nicely with MD via Kenton, the devices kind of see each other but choose not to cooperate. Has anyone had a similar problem - could it be MIDI loop by Kenton or anything else? With MD+MCL, there is probably a constant event flow between these two and Kenton is just copier/forwarder I guess so why is this not functioning? Thanks for any hints!

The Kenton won’t be using the turbo protocol, so yes you’re correct, won’t allow proper enhanced peer on MCLs port 1.
You should be able to merge and send whatever you want into MCL port 2 IN when setting up the chosen midi settings in MCL globals.

2 Likes

Right! Totally forgot MCL’s got another IN socket - so that would have to be just forwarding 2nd MCL IN to 1st MCL OUT and back to MD IN but not in turbo (so basically ports for Monomachine/A4) - I need to check out the MCL manual for this then. Super thanks, I’ll come back here and let you know how this goes. Thanks very much!

… and it worked like a charm :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m using a merger to combine the MnM output with a midi controller (to control the MD) into MCL input two through a motu midi xt, with port forwarding. Works fine, and the MD can still operate at x8 (but not the MnM)

So this means saved slots on y-grid remain unnamed (i.e. m1-m6 instead of machine related names) and stuff?
How do you Work on your MNM? Do you still use MC’s Piano roll to seq on the MNM?