MD CPU board

Does anyone have any idea if this CPU board for an MD1 is worth anything?
I no longer have my MD :frowning:… but when I did, it needed a repair and I asked for a replacement IN OUT board and this was sent to me in error by elektron. They then sent the correct board and just told me to keep it. Just found it when clearing out.

1 Like

Everything is worth something to someone. Elektron no longer services the machinedrum, but from what I understand they do still sell some parts through the customer service channel.

Assuming the CPU board is a part which is still in stock and available for purchase, it probably has approximately that value or less as it’s not coming with the assurance that it will be replaced if the unit is defective.

2 Likes

It’s … wut ?

7 Likes

Cheers, yeah I did look to see if they sold them but all I can find is this:
Elektron does not provide service on Machinedrum/Monomachine MKI devices. Some spare parts are still available to order, such as encoders, button mechanisms, and plastic button caps if you want to perform the repair yourself or enlist the help of a local electronics workshop.
I’d be happy if someone needed one and I could help. I’m not looking to make a killing on it! :grinning:

1 Like

Talked to someone recently who was trying to (god only knows why) make their MD battery powered and he ordered some extra boards after frying his first power pcb. That was for a mk2 UW model so if this is for a mkI it may be more of a scarcity, but since the mkI’s that I’ve seen have the battery soldered in place and this has a clip, I assumed it was for a newer revision. Not positive if the part is interchangeable between the 2 generations but assumed not due to different sequencer step counts.

Anyhow, can’t confirm anything 100% and not sure of what model you had or what they sent you since you stated it was the wrong part for your needs, but that’s all the recent info I have is just that someone was able to buy a few spare pcb parts by providing their serial number to support.

I’m sure someone would love to have a spare or may need one but not sure how you’d go about that, reverb maybe.

Cheers yeah I’m no expert on versions or what use this might actually be to someone. I had a mk1 non UW and yeah since it was the wrong part I never really looked into it any further. Anyway thanks for the input it much appreciated. I’ll try on the Facebook group maybe someone will find a use for it.

1 Like

Good stuff. My feeling is that is it has some value but it’s hard to say what specifically. Might be a good idea to see if you can find any teardown photos of MD units either on this site or on google and if you can confirm which model this board accompanies, it will be easier to connect with someone who needs it. Often the person who needs it most has no idea what he’s looking for, just knows that he needs one.

Also if you still have the paperwork from when it shipped, it might say something like sps-1 mkII or other, I believe they’re usually pretty specific with labeling their inventory.

1 Like

That’s supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

3 Likes

I just saw the photo you post on Facebook about it.
Basically it’s the Coldfire with the 2 ASIC 5630. So you have the brain of a MD here.
Convinced, that someone with a broken MD will need it at some point.
Look like the photo on Facebook show 2007-2009 so I would believe it’s a MK2 board.

3 Likes

gesundheit.

2 Likes

That makes me feel much better about screwing up less intensive repair projects, learning both what I should have done and why I shouldn’t have tried instead of leaning in harder…

1 Like

‘’The word supercalifragilisticexpialidocious in Mary Poppins is said to be simply a word used as “something to say when you have nothing to say,” but the mouthful of nonsensical syllables certainly has brought cheer to audiences for decades.’’

İ didn’t know this info

Hi! Just sent you PM :slight_smile: