MD as slave always changes 1 bar later than master

Silly question but I cannot found the solution.

When I am playing with the MD as slave and want to change pattern from the master in the chain , For example: octatrack as master and MD as slave and change to pattern a02 in the octatrack , the MD always change the pattern 1 bar later Than the master so the master changes the pattern and goes 1 bar , later in the second bar of the master ,the MD changes his pattern. I want to change the pattern at the same time like always in the other gear…
Is this normal ?

Please help !

Thanks in advance

1 Like

@Vanvas not sure if I can add a solution, but I can add that when I went all in on a maxed out MD/Abelton project during lockdowns with all drums on MD and samples through Abe, I also noticed that that my MIDI timings were way off.

I remember having to start my project on MD (master clock) “late” by adding a blank pattern in the Arr/Song Mode (forgot what it’s called there). I never had a chance to try out the sweet MCL units that were being made to pair with MD, and I’m not sure if they corrected those timing issues, as the guys behind that project really put in a lot of effort to keep MD pushing.

You’re not crazy though :beers:

Thanks ! I’ve got a MCL but I’m not using s as t the moment . I’m testing at this way without the MCL, but I’m not sure if it corrects with MCL. Let’s see if anyone can help me .

1 Like

I think that this is (unfortunately) just how all elektron devices respond to program change (pattern change) when sequenced externally. There are a ton of threads about this.

2 Likes

How long is the pattern on OT vs pattern on md?

The md will always complete its pattern length before changing, as in it won’t cut 32 to 16 for example.

Can you test with some matching length patterns?

1 Like

Ok thanks , will do more tests. So basically the master needs to be same length than Md’s pattern or just be aware to change in time …yes ?

As was said above

If you continue to have problems it may be worth your while (if a bit tedious) to try and read some of those. I wouldn’t claim to know exactly what happens with your two boxes, but there seems to be a shared, unsolved, issue between elektron boxes. Hope that’s not what you have and the length issue is enough to set you right.

If not, search this forum for “one bar late”.

1 Like

Yes , thanks ! I’m reading all I can since days before but I thought someone would have an answer. I saw that the program change have to be sended before the patterns ends , that is I am doing … before the pattern ends in my octatrack I change the pattern on it to the a02 , but always the MD changes one bar later , I’m not using program change feature , I’m doing by hand … I’m not clear at all what’s happen . I’m starting using octatrack with MD and I’m not clear at all .

The problem I’m familiar with I can explain on my hardware but I don’t know exactly how it translates to yours. I have the two models. If the receiving box is in ‘TRK’ mode allowing differing track lengths, then the pattern change can happen on bar late. If it’s in ‘PTN’ mode, all tracks are the same length and there are no problems. I know the setup is slightly different on digi boxes (master length an change length come into play) but the general idea is the same, different track lengths (or perhaps scale) on the receiver can cause problems.

BTW, I’m assuming that you’ve already taken the advice above and made change length (or equivalent) match on the two boxes, and you still have a problem.