MC-707 vs Toraiz SP16 Sound

What sample parameters
can be modulated? I was contemplating using the Digitone’s midi sequencing abilities to take over on the occasions that I need the fancy stuff.

Appendix 1 is the MIDI implementation.
I leave you to discover yourself as an educational exercise.

1 Like

Thank you. I had t found that yet.

You can modulate via LFO and parameter lock per step.

I think combining its strengths with the sequencer tricks from any Elektron is a killer combination.

1 Like

It’s no slouch as far as p-locks and sample manipulation goes, tho. And the live looping and slicing are both awesome.

It’s a great sampler and I hope Pioneer gives us another one that dares to be ever so slightly more musician, less DJ.

1 Like

Pioneer just need to update the OS for this one.Its all there just could do with some basic functions added.Altho its nice to have a simple machine thats rock solid and few menus so…

Cant believe in this day and age it is mono samples per pad tho.And real time playing in of samples is very low Sequencer resolution so no natural feel.

1 Like

unfortunately that’s most likely not going to happen. I read somewhere that Pioneer has divested the team that was responsible for the Toraiz product group (I might be mistaken, but pretty sure I read that somewhere :)), so the SP16 and AS1 have probably reached the take-em-as-they-are state.

I know what you mean though. A few simple tweaks and both could be even better than they already are, a bit of a shame in a way, but at least with the SP16, firmware ver. 1.50 made the device pretty complete for what it originally promised.

EDIT: I just wish some of these companies would hand over a hardware’s firmware development to the open source community when they are done with the product lifecycle of a device. Not that AKAI actually did that, but with the MPC1000 & MPC2500 we’re lucky that an ex-employee decided to build the OS that he thought the MPCs SHOULD have had (JJOS). And I’d say the fact that both machines became infinitely more powerful through his efforts has not only helped keep up the MPC myth and desirability of these machines, but it’s helped them sell more of their current lineup as well (e.g. I bought my MPC Live on the back of my MPC1000). I think if companies would leverage the open source community a little more, real value could be created for all parties involved.

3 Likes

My only wish for the SP is individual track lengths and odd numbered steps.

Oh, and zero crossing for looped material

And maybe track mutes per pattern like the DJS-1000

Speaking of the DJS-1000 - double clicking scale and slice takes you to the edit pages. On the SP, you have to menu dive via touchscreen to get there.

With these tweaks, I’d be happ(ier) :hugs:

4 Likes

I had a really good session last night after my wife went to bed, ended staying up until 3am jamming on this thing. I can see why Carl Cox uses one live. It’s an instant techno machine. You can really mess things up and it sounds great. I much prefer this over the Digitakt.

1 Like

I saw that too. Carl Cox had a DJS-1000 in his set up previously. Curious the motivation for the SP?

In any event, they’re both super dope!

I still haven’t pulled the trigger on a Squid. I kind of want to complete the Toraiz set up with a Squid and AS-1.

But then I keep coming back to Ableton and Max. Ugh.

When GAS is actually under control. :metal:t4::thinking:

1 Like

Hello,

I have all 3 Toraiz, and it’s a lot of fun, I’m learning really quick the advantage and shortcomings, compared to other gears setup I have, I think this is the easiest and most fun :sunglasses:

1 Like

Who is using the SP 16 with the digitakt ?