MC 707 / 101 : Roland Grooveboxes

Perfect. Yes, Local Control off.

Anybody know of shops that make skins/overlays/wraps for the MC-101 aside from oversynth?

So far I’ve only found novalays via instagram.

http://novalays.shop/

I want to use my MC101 as a sound module.

I’d like to send a bank change and a PC to select any sound, without having to piss around with projects, or loading and saving.

Am I correct in understanding that Roland, in their infinite wisdom, have decided thats not how its gonna work?

Any workarounds? Or other ways to get the Roland sounds?

Cant afford Integra 7! I just sold my precious JV-2080 for this MC101, not sure if it was a wise decision now :thinking:

Yes, I think you’re correct. On the MC-101 PCs are for selecting clips. So the workaround is to have each of the 4 tracks on a separate midi channel, and pre-load the presets you want onto the 16 clips on each of the 4 tracks.

Caveat: I’ve not used the 101 in a while, I have a nagging feeling there’s another use for PCs on the 101, maybe for scene change, so not sure its relevant here.

2 Likes

Cheers for confirming!

That sucks so much, really limits how I can use it, or at least adds a layer of pissing around to it. I’ve only got 1 possible channel available for it too.

There should be a ‘Sound Module Mode’, where it responds like a module not as a groovebox!

Anyone else want this feature, please join me and send a feature request to Roland!

2 Likes

just saying

5 Likes

Hi,
the MC-101 can read and play single-cycle waveforms? if it can do it how?
on another forum a user says, referring to the MC-707, that it is possible. he says:

“ Single cycle waveforms, when used for partials or drum sources, make awesome sounds you can’t get with the native oscillators. Really wavetabley pads and stabs and just cool stuff thats different from the stock sounds. Tip: load 10 or 20 waveforms at a time. they take almost no space. Set them all to loop. Then you can browse each one in your partial to audition the tone changes. Mix and match up to four!”

Does the same apply to the MC-101 as well?
Can the MC-101 read waveform single cycles only when loaded as drum samples?
files loaded on tone tracks or looper tracks are not read?
Thanks

1 Like

I know I’ve done it on Tone track. You need to be careful the files are not too short. May need more than one cycle, or very low pitch … I can’t remember the exact details but it comes down to: files shorter than a certain length do not work.

EDIT:

EDIT: I checked again. My wav files had just one cycle in them and were 48K, 16-bit. The ‘high C’ at 184 samples was too short to play on the 101, the ‘low C’ at 735 samples was long enough to play successfully.

Is there a list of PCM files that can be loaded into oscillators?

And can a mix of oscillator types be loaded across the 4 eg osc1=VA osc2=PCM osc3=VA osc4=noise?

Thanks

Yes, from page 52:

All 4 partials can have a different type of engine yes!

5 Likes

Yes, there’s a sound list on the Roland website and yes you can freely mix and match :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the speedy response. So it is anything from banks A,B,C (about 600 sounds)? Massive!

1 Like

It’s actually way more than that. I think bank A already has about 1000 wavs :smiley:

1 Like

There’s also a website that lets you search all 1840 PCM files.

1 Like

Is there a direct shortcut to the playback mode of the sample or, even better, is it possible to always set the playback mode to cycle? It’s tedious having to go and set the playback mode every time you want to change the sample (tone track),since the preview itself (sound) is also set to one-shot.

Thanks

you could have empty clips that have the preset you want, and launch a clip will change the sound. there’s a menu setting in the 707 for tone set to track or clip.

i’m pretty sure you send CC to trigger a clip, i’ve never done it, but ive seen people use MIDI controllers to launch clips with the 707, i think?

i’m thinking octachain would work well for this?

Ta, yeah I think its PCs to trigger clips.

All well and good, but you can’t have 4,000 clips on one track in one song (can you? I don’t actually know).

So I’d end up having multiple saved songs with favourite presets in, a lot of remembering which song goes with which song etc.

The way I do it now is just have one song saved on the MC101 per one song on the Hapax. Same filename, less pissing around.

Plus, then I can layer all 4 sounds on 1 midi channel which is nice.

I still think we need a module mode where PC and Bank messages allow instant selection of any sound!

1 Like

Load the preset in a clip, rename the clip (too bad that the clip is not named automatically after loading a preset), save the clip.
Now you can load that clip with that preset in any project.
Maybe that helps.

2 Likes

I had the MC707 when it first came out but sold it however I’m thinking of buying another. Is it possible to load different projects on the fly or is it not possible? Are you stuck with 8 tracks of 16 patterns per track and have to manually load a new project?