Maximizing the utilization of digi trinity

Perhaps I have become the elektron ultra fanboy too quickly and only recently discovered some pretty useful stuff that I am able to do by design with elektron boxes (ST, DT, DN).

And since all of this useful stuff is coming from Elektronauts BUT from various threads/topics, I was wondering if I can ask for some more suggestions on how to maximize the utilization of each box from the digi trinity series from all of you beautiful people here.

Some examples of what I am looking for:

• Pattern change from DT to ST and DN = Song structure in Song mode needs to be done only on DT (took me like 5 songs before realizing, lol).

• Pitch Bend, mod wheel, aftertouch, etc. MACROS on each track on ST and DN controlled by MIDI track on DT (with the ability to controll each MACRO by just switching track.

• Transit plugin on Master channel in Ableton controlled by DT as substitute for OT performance mixer capabilities.

Basically I am looking for slightly advanced stuff beyond YT tutorials, but with a focus on the interplay between boxes.

Any tips much appreciated!

5 Likes

Hello, and welcome!

You can use the headphone output of the boxes later in the chain to feed back into the input of the first for some interesting results. Be careful though, as with all feedback things.

Also, as an Elektron ultra fanboy recoveree myself, don’t forget to make music instead of focusing on techniques and possibilities too much. I lost my way for a while trying to maximize/utilize all features all the time.

Looking forward to what other 'Nauts have to add!

4 Likes

I use the DT to control mutes the DN, using the first 4 MIDI tracks. It’s pretty much set and forget, and you’ll never have to deal with the DN’s ridiculously confusing mute states ever again.

4 Likes

Hello,
having been using the trinity for over a year and delved quite deeply into their combined possibilities, I have settled for a simple approach which is working for me in terms of productivity and fun.
Here are a few things that I like doing. No rocket science I’m afraid, but more realisations…

• Keep pattern change & song mode off. This is useful for live sets and blending, for example DT (drums) pattern 1 keeps playing while ST (bass/acid) pattern 2 blends in. I don’t like to stick to a regimented song arrangement, and like the option to improvise both in terms of arrangement and song order.

• Personally I like to use global mutes, this work for me with track transitions because I keep my drums, pads, leads etc on the same respective tracks and know where everything is, so blending becomes less problematic; I usually blend drums to melody or vis-versa to avoid keys clashing.

• Use a midi controller (such as the faderfox PC4) and take advantage of the the mod wheel and breath control options on the ST and DT. Save these presets and make a template for all 64 patterns so you’ve got instant hands on tweaking for each track.

• Maybe controversial, but I think 3 boxes is too much, so I’ve found two boxes works best for me, hence why I have a lounge and a bedroom set-up.

• Finally & most importantly for me… Allocate time every day to make music, even if its just for 30 mins. Have a small goal (anything extra is a bonus). It could be make a bass-line or hi hat pattern, or practise playing a live set; I find having a goal makes me more productive and actually is more fun and stops me getting bored.

Looking forward to hear everyone else’s tips!

8 Likes

I’m still on the lookout for tips, too, playing on a ST together with a Digitakt sometimes. I love using the sound macros, and tend to send them all to the same midi channel, so a related set of changes to, say, all percussion tracks happen with the BC knob.

I find having that macro control makes it easier to leave ST open to the FX track sequencer for Octatrack-lite FX Scenes: Syntakt FX Scenes + Techniques .

I’ve also tended to use independent/parallel Song mode songs per box, as there are cool things to do with transitions, partial and empty patterns, two boxes playing different patterns. But I think I wouldn’t do that with any other combination of boxes. Adding and deleting rows (FN up / down) from within the Song Mode Mutes screen makes sketching out songs really easy, and global mutes still work on top of it.

Last thing I got, the control-all 1-bar loop, set delay time to max and feedback 100, then ctrl all delay send max, then amp volume down 1 bar later, filter the loop from the delay page…

2 Likes