Matching Cycles voices using Digitone

It makes complete sense to me spending time in the lab before jumping into doing any music mate. First comes sound designing and then music, at least for me… It may be a different workflow for people using presets I guess.

1 Like

Niiiice! Shall we start with the kick then? What do you guys think?

The Kick might seem the most simple of the bunch,
but Elektron have made unique “compressor envelopes” for the Kick machine that make it sound so good at just about any setting.

In other words, good luck matching that with the Digitone! :slight_smile:

1 Like

A bit of a dredge.

Has anyone had success with ryde cymbal synthesis in the Digitone?

I can’t really improve upon gated noise.

Seems a good start…
Matching Cycles voices using Digitone

1 Like

Super helpfull guide may trought some light :slight_smile:
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/practical-cymbal-synthesis

2 Likes

I feel like it :slight_smile: let’s see how far it goes :wink:

I read that last night. Very interesting.

Unless I’m missing something both the above examples seem to be fm’ing a wave like that found from a subtractive-synth oscillator.

How do I choose a wave type for an operator?

Or is an operator just a sine wave?

Yes I read this to make cymbals from square waves with OT. ( Cymbals and metallic percussions synthesis lab)

I just tested with harmonics set to AB19 (square), algo 3, hipass resonant filter, it can be really interesting with DN imho. It can change drastically with small changes, not easy to fine tune. Can’t record now…

@mynewcolour Depends if you want to mimic M:C, another type of synth, a realistic one…

Can a 2x2 (four) operator algo create two square waves?

A bright, swooshing ryde please. Realistic if possible :slight_smile:

I think it’s a real tough one.

I can get grainy, inharmonic metallic noise. But never close to a cymbal strike.

I layered two exponential decay ramp lfos at different speeds for a sort of phasing effect.

I wonder if I should using a deep squarewave LFO on each operator amp level or something? :thinking:

It’s relatively easy with a two oscillator subtractive synth.

I will try this.

Actually found I got the best ‘hit’ with no filter and just altering the base width a bit towards the top end.

From this patch you need a square modulating an another one, better to have several instances. I’m not sure what is the best algo, 2 seems interesting too.
Tune the hp frequence with resonance to find the right resonant frequency. Adjust with bandwidth filter…
Unison, detune, tune each ratio…
For the impact, use an lfo on resonance.
10udSS6y6X6d3mh1yjcwZ6bf167DI

3 Likes

Thank you. This is great.

1 Like

Cymbals attempt. It’s oftenly getting worse when you want to improve it !

3 Likes

I appreciate that since the Model Cycles doesn’t have filters for fine tuning the frequency ranges

Those are very, very good I think. Thanks for sharing.

I’m going to dig into this tonight.

1 Like

could you give any patch notes for this?

Sorry I don’t have DN anymore, only notes are above in this thread…