Matching Cycles voices using Digitone

I was listening to the different voices at the end of this link and thinking about how to replicate then using Digitone.

Any takers?
Would be nice going voice by voice, kick, snare, etc, and sound by sound, trying to break it down and analize it, seeing how possible may it be getting it using just Digitone.

5 Likes

These screenshots from the M:C are a good starting point for the macros you can program to emulate the four sound shaping knobs (via aftertouch, mod wheel, breath control). The drum presets on the DN might also be a nice way to get started, but if @ess wants to chime in about the algorithms used on the M:C, that would be even better. I remember him saying that some things are impossible to exactly recreate on the DN (in the live stream), but it will be a fun exercise in FM patching nonetheless :slightly_smiling_face:
Also, very good idea to start an extra thread for this!

2 Likes

I do not have a Digitone, but my recollection of Ess’s speech on wednesday is that the cymbal machine on the Cycles uses a 8-op fm machine similar to that of the machinedrum. So this machine will likely be hard to replicate on the DN.

However, it is a very nice idea to try and reproduce the machines or other stuff with one synth. For example, what about cymbal algos (if there is any) coming from the DX 27/11/etc 4-op yamaha keyboards?

I think you misunderstood that. The MD had an 8 operator algorithm for the cymbals and Ess was misinformed that it had been a 4 operator algorithm. This is why it was troublesome to recreate the MD sound with only 4 operators, which was solved with different wave shapes on the M:C.

4 Likes

Ah ok, I have missed the last bit on wave shaping. Great then!

1 Like

It would be great if they had 1:1 voice compatibility but it seems that they are quite different, which is good in a way. I think Tone and Perc sounds would be easiest to recreate on DN.

With sine waves you need a lot of operators and/or a somewhat limited FM engine that runs into dirty aliasing early. When you use square waves, you can get pretty decent metal sounds with only 3 operators:

2 Likes

Guess most of the sounds should be doable on the DN, which is not true the other way around :slight_smile:
I’m not fm pro enough to recreate specific results… For me the fun of fm is the unexpected, unplanned stuff

3 Likes

…how about producing some music, guys…instead of another fun day in the lab…?
just askin’…

3 Likes

After watching loopop tut, apart from the chord, didn’t heard anything that is not reproducible on the DN with its most basic settings. The demos also confirm that. What I noticed though, looking at the frequency graph he had in his video is that the different “machines” are pre-EQ’d each in its own “slot” in the spectrum. That practically makes it impossible to mix them in a wrong way. Not sure if that is cool or not.

3 Likes

isn’t it all about fun in the end?

10 Likes

Definitely cool for this fella! Far too many tunes of mine end up being a muddy sounding mess as:

1. I’m shit at EQ’ing
  2. I can’t be arsed with EQ’ing!

The OP-Z sounded like it did something similar. Definitely did something to glue everything together in a nice way at least.

1 Like

For me, these are two completely different things. Some days I just spend time creating all sorts of patches, which is very relaxing and a whole lot of fun to me. Other times, when I’m in the mood to write songs, I have a whole bunch of patches to pick from and see how the melody or rhythm I programmed can sound with a different patch.
I don’t put out a lot of music, but the amount is not the goal. What I finish is usually something I’m very proud of and put a lot of time and thoughts into.

5 Likes

I’m curious if there’s more information about the actual structure of the machines in the M:C or MD. I imagine you could get pretty close with a Nord Modular, and I think I might want to try.

3 Likes

It makes complete sense to me spending time in the lab before jumping into doing any music mate. First comes sound designing and then music, at least for me… It may be a different workflow for people using presets I guess.

1 Like

Niiiice! Shall we start with the kick then? What do you guys think?

The Kick might seem the most simple of the bunch,
but Elektron have made unique “compressor envelopes” for the Kick machine that make it sound so good at just about any setting.

In other words, good luck matching that with the Digitone! :slight_smile:

1 Like

A bit of a dredge.

Has anyone had success with ryde cymbal synthesis in the Digitone?

I can’t really improve upon gated noise.

Seems a good start…
Matching Cycles voices using Digitone

1 Like

Super helpfull guide may trought some light :slight_smile:
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/practical-cymbal-synthesis

2 Likes