Mastodon instances for electronic musicians?

Does anyone know of or use a Mastodon server for musicians or electronic musicians? I’m signed up on Indieweb.social at the moment, but obviously hanging out with music nerds would be better.

1 Like

You may want to take a look at this one:

1 Like

Thanks. That’s a person though, right? Not a mastodon server?

1 Like
5 Likes

Right, sorry, that was just an indicative link to a profile. The server/instance is https://soc.gsg.live

1 Like

What’s this mastodon shit about?

2 Likes

The next hyped up alternative to the big names in social media, in this case a Twitter alternative.
I made an account years ago and quickly stopped using it because there was nothing of interest for me going on because only few people were using it. And now that Twitter users are announcing to jump ship I‘ll keep staying away from it because Twitter has/had the worst users of all.

1 Like

Sort of like twitter, but not. More emphasis on talking to people, less emphasis on shouting your message to the world.

And in contrast to twitter, no-one can buy or own (and destroy) mastodon (any more than anyone could buy the whole of email, or buy all the websites).

EDIT: sample user experience: image

1 Like

Even if all the worst users do jump ship to mastodon, they won’t affect you that way they would on twitter.

• depending on which mastodon community you join, there will be various local rules that prohibit nasty people from saying nasty things, so they probably won’t join your community.
  • if they join another community with lax rules, you’ll probably find your local community will block messages coming from the bad community … while accepting messages form most other communities.

In short, the bad guys will get isolated, and they won’t be able to shout at the world, and they won’t be able to harass you. (The explanation is too long to go here, I’ll see if I can link one).

2 Likes

Yay.

More social media.

I’ll leave you all to it.

5 Likes

Except it’s not like any other social media:

Which means it’s not toxic. Can’t be, from the way it’s been designed. See

above

merveilles.town is an instance centred around creativity in general, including many electronic musicians

3 Likes

I’m sure it’s not, but I’m also sure it’s not for me.

Enjoy.

1 Like

I thought we were talking about the band at first (haha)

5 Likes

Yeah, me too, that’s why I clicked on it.

1 Like

This is social media

3 Likes

Thanks

I don’t think this is accurate. Less toxicity for now, but the technology doesn’t prohibit it, just discourages it when used correctly.

I have been fairly active on Twitter, but am moving to Mastodon. I didn’t choose a “themed” server, because I have too many interests. I chose a medium-sized server whose admin has been at it for a while and seems to have a good set of policies and values.

1 Like

Are we sampling Mastodon for a beat challenge?!

4 Likes

Saw a tweet that said something like “I tried to join Mastodon, but those guys play really fast”.

7 Likes