Masters of Ceremony

4 Likes

Just give him some wood and he’ll build you a cabinet…

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

2 of my favs… miss these guys

1 Like

I go through a tom petty phase every couple years, like, since high school probably. Just a huge influence on music in general. I kinda feel like without tom petty there would be no beck, or at least no place would have been there for him in mainstream music. RIP man.

I also remember being a kid and staying up late watching the original gary shandling show on this little portable tv that I acquired in some trade that I was keeping a secret so I could watch gary shandling and mash reruns and like, night court under my covers at night after I was supposed to be asleep lol. Gary Shandling, also the man.

Lol night court. John Larroquette, genius.

3 Likes

Yeah Eyedea was amazing. Saw him with Abilities and Blueprint opening for him. What a great gig that was. Everyone was on point, and absolutely no backing tracks that has plagued love hip hop shows (more recently it appears) for so long. Really quite a remarkable MC in his ability to flow as if it was his natural way of communicating since before he learned to walk. Haven’t seen too many MCs live that are capable of matching him perhaps Super Natural, but having a hard time thinking of anyone else that could just flow off the top of their heads seamlessly for so long. Blueprint did pretty good holding his own at that gig, but in the end he had to throw the towel in. Abilities and Eyedea also did a little bit of back and forth freestyles in which Abilities would scratch out the melody, and then Eyedea would respond with a freestyle, and then they switched so Eyedea created a freestlye using a rhythm, and Abilities had to match it on the spot with his scratching, just pure madness. Man that was a sad day when he passed.

3 Likes

Word.

3 Likes

I was tripped out when he said no more rap and started the carbon carousel project doing that depressing rock music but in a way, I kind of get it now. I think he was just so eager to break out of his own mold that he went back to something that he probably wanted to pursue before he got serious into hip hop.

As a benchmark for crazy freestyles, pretty much anything that came out of the project blowed workshop in LA back in the early 2000’s was coming pretty hard. Not everyone, but most of the members were genuine legit freestyle olympians and to this day you can still listen and hear new stuff in what they’re saying off the top. Still though, I don’t know if that exceeds eyedeas virtuosity for coming off the dome. Really sorely missed.

3 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

I’m not really a fan of Timbaland, but it’s hard not to be a fan of his love for music

3 Likes

Shout out to all the MC kings speaking truth to power.