Master Distortion vs Analog Drive/Heat

how does the onboard Rytm master distortion compare to the one on Analog Drive/Heat?

I haven t directly compared the 2 but thereā€™s something particular about the ARā€™s that AH doesnā€™t have. There s a thread on it here: Let's really dig into Rytm's gorgeous distortion...what is it?

1 Like

how can you say that if you havent comparedā€¦?

Because AH doesn t have the SYMMETRY parameter. What I meant by not compared is that I haven t ran them side by side to find whether the AR circuit is similar to one of the AH circuits.

Just feature wiseā€¦

The AR master distortion does not effect any input signal (sadly) nor is there any wet/dry settings (so you canā€™t have a crazy overdrived signal at just 5% wet as an example).

If youā€™d like me to do a few tests, I can. What AH circuits would you like to hear?

1 Like

the question is more if theres a need for the Drive if ive got on board distortion. im leaning heavily towards ā€œyesā€ but if youve got experience with them both id like your insight

AH is far more flexible, and itā€™s always a great tool to have. I personally like the ARā€™s MSTR DISTR, but I usually use it sparingly. I like the Overdrive a bit more personally (but wish it was a tad more robust).

AR only: 00-07 AR (no MSTR DSTR) 08-13 (MSTR DSTR appx 80%)
AR + AH: 14-41 (Drive 100% Clean, Sat, Enh circuits) 42-end (Drive appx 50% Clean, Sat, Enh circuits)

Apologies for not matching gain, but I think you get an idea. AH is far more flexible

4 Likes

great demo really illustrates the difference

looks like the rytms distortion is more of a glue than a full on effect and if i want crazy mangled distortion Analog Drive is the way to go

then get a Heat for a distortion threesome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Analog Drive is a little better at full on distortion than Heat , I really dig itā€™s clean boost setting on the Rytm as well as dirty drive and big dist. Itā€™s all boxed down atm so no demo from me :frowning:

Maybe if Iā€™m feeling adventurous Iā€™ll dig it out and have a play.

1 Like

Just mono though.

1 Like

Btw, many AH/D sound examples to be found in the forum here.

1 Like

:wink:
The cool thing is that you can control both with one, midi connected.

AH/AD compararison I made. They sound different anyway.
Analog Drive Price Drop

3 Likes

hi, iā€™m user since a while of rytm mk1 and like very much the master distortion of the unit. do you know if the analog heat features a identical distortion sound as the master distortion of the rytm thnks

This is priceless! Thx. the Kick sounds great as well! is that a sample?