Map/automate probability Syntakt and Digitakt

So, I have a track(s) that’s quite busy. I have plocked, to 100%, the key trigs of the groove.
When I drop probability to 0% it becomes sparse and most excellent.

I have done this to several tracks in the pattern and would like to assign to several controller knobs so they are all accessible at once. I am having trouble as I don’t think you can map this.

Any advice/workarounds? I am trying to keep to one pattern if possible.

Thanks xx

You’re wanting to adjust probability percentage of various tracks from your controller as opposed to doing it from inside the pages on the DT itself? Since you can’t map it why not duplicate the entire pattern and set the first to 100% and the second to 0% and toggle between them. I’m pretty sure that as you assumed, however, that it can’t be mapped. Maybe you could also consider doing it as a fill but I don’t use fills very often so not sure how to advise you of the best way to set it up.

1 Like

If you lock the necessary “key” bits on every track, you could add one layer of additional control by adding some control-all (TRK + encoder), from any track’s trig page.

2 Likes

Thank you both, I think it is really a matter of rolling up the sleeves and getting dirty.

With your extra suggestions, I reckon I could bludgeon my way through!!

It’s never easy, is it?! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yeah, a fill could well have helped but I’ve set it up for something else now.
Had I known from the start that I couldn’t map probability, I would’ve set up some serious fill business…

are you working completely from DT? like no pc involved right?

No, I have Ableton.

I imagine I’m missing something quite obvious now :flushed:

not specifically, I was just thinking you could do a simple test track with like one sound or strictly parameters and monitor the midi from your computer when you tweak the probability. If it outputs some kind of sysex maybe there’s hidden control mapping and in that case if you identified it maybe you could send changes from ableton. not my area of expertise so not really something I could walk you through but I know that this is how some people have figured out the sysex strings for other gear.

in that case, via ableton, it may be possible to map more complex actions to your controller.

1 Like

Ah, interesting.
I have a friend who knows his sysex.

Thanks again, all good info :heart:

1 Like

@sezare56 might be able to advise on the procedure of identifying the sysex by monitoring the midi output but like us, probably can’t predict the outcome.

2 Likes

No. :content:
Probably no sysex.

I’d do as @Humanprogram said, Ctrl All on Probability.

If you want external midi control of Probability on all tracks you can use corresponding CC and set all tracks on the same midi channel.

2 Likes

Oh, no, it’s external midi control of some tracks, separately but there is no cc for probability.

I think I will have to use a few patterns with the various combinations as @shigginpit suggested

1 Like

How many steps is your pattern?

Ah yes indeed. I understood “map” differently. I’d check with a midi monitor if Probability send CCs or NRPN (NRPN mode).

Probably not !
feature-request@elektron.se

2 Likes

This is what I was thinking, I thought it might be sysex but I guess nrpn is probably more likely though still unlikely I guess.

1 Like

Morning! Sorry, only just seen this.

One of the tracks is 32 steps, others 64 but with conditional trigs.

But….

As I was dropping off to sleep last night, I’ve realised I could get the same effect just plocking volume or velocity on the ‘key’ trigs then map that to the controller.

I think I only started with probability as it, and conditional trigs are the first things I start messing with when trying stuff like this.

Thanks all for the input :smiley:

1 Like

Cool let me know if it works the same as how you’re envisioning it when you have a chance to set it up and test.

1 Like

Hmm, just tried this.

Velocity no good as stuff is still audible at minimum velocity. 1. ??? Why not zero?

Using amp vol (Syntakt, but would be the same on Digitakt) it work but not in the same way as with probability, in that, the steps are still triggered but inaudible. When I used probability, the steps weren’t triggered and I got a nice effect with the steps that did trigger, ringing out their full envelope.

Don’t know if that makes sense but I will be making a feature request for probability to be controlled via Midi.

So, just for clarity and so you all don’t think I am a rambling loon (I possibly am tbh), I’ll give a really basic example…

If you had a full 16th note hihat pattern programmed, if you locked the offbeat 8ths to 100%, turning down the probability to 0% would give a variation at the turn of a knob. Also, the decay/release times can be adjusted to make the most of this variation.

I don’t imagine it’s anything new I’m trying to do here but just in case it might fire someone’s imagination…

1 Like