Manual recording with QREC PLEN and MASTER LENGTH set to INF

Hey everybody,

I am trying to use QREC PLEN to manually record at the beginning of the pattern. Quick record is enabled in the settings. Recording never starts. I’ve discovered this is because MASTER LENGTH is set to INF on all my tracks. I would expect that PLEN would start recording on the beginning of the pattern, regardless of the MASTER LENGTH. Any clues if this is a bug or a feature?

Otherwise, manually recording with QREC set to 4 starts as expected on the next beat, but I would prefer to be able to use the QREC PLEN feature.

PLEN quantize QREC to the beginning of the pattern.
If MASTER LENGTH is set to INF, it never goes back to the beginning, so record doesn’t start. Make sense to me.

What about One Shot Rec trig to start recording at the beginning of the pattern ?

Or use QREC values corresponding to a chosen track length, depends on your different track lengths (I they have different lengths as you set MASTER LENGTH to INF).

3 Likes

You can also try to define a MASTER LENGTH with this handy calculator :

1 Like

Figured this out. I have my tracks SCALE set to 1/4x, each sequencer step is a full beat. And so QREC 1 seems to also correspond to a beat. I can successfully start a manual recording at the beginning of a pattern by hitting REC1/2/3 within the last beat of the pattern. Then on STEP 1 the recording starts.

Manual recording (with Quick Record enabled) seems a lot more efficient, rather than trying to setup a rec trig with SRC 1/2/3 (that changes in performance) and arming the trig.

Thanks for the replies in any case!

1 Like

Nice! Was looking for a way to get out of the rec trigs thing because it’s indeed not the quickest to hit track+yes. And the wrec also provides a bit more freedom. Hoi by to experiment with this. Perfectly timed topic and solution :slight_smile:

All tracks ? If so why don’t you set MASTER to x1/4, in normal mode (not Scale Per Track) ?

Beware with QREC, its value has to inferior to pattern length, otherwise it doesn’t work.

2nd warning : If you start a recording with a one shot rec trig, and want to stop with QREC, you have to press twice rec buttons combos to stop the recording.

(These are not in the manual afaik).

Because my tracks all have different pattern length, and I change pattern lengths during performance. Sometimes a track samples a 4 beat loop, sometimes 5, sometimes 7, etc.

I’m not sure I understand what MASTER scale does but I do already have it set to 1/4x on every track.

I have Scale Per Track enabled, but perhaps I’m missing the point of what that does?

Nothing if Master length is set to INF. Otherwise it can help to match tracks cycle length.

Also needed for different track lengths, so you need it indeed.

1 Like