Mantis -- Hybrid synth from PWM

New synth from PWM.

A hybrid synth similar to the Wasp ( hence the name Mantis ) with an Oscar inspired dual filter but duophonic. The synth was designed by Chris Huggett and is an exciting design.

Still under development, but coming along. Hopefully shipping end of summer.

8 Likes

I wasn’t too keen on the Malevolent but I love the sound of this.

1 Like

Does it have memory for programs ?

It does: 100 factory, 100 user.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks !

1 Like

Steppy filter, need to fix that.

As a side question, does it have full MIDI control ? I really hope so.

I see the Mantis is now available for pre-order at Sweetwater.

Seems a little early for that, but according to this recent article :
The Mantis is now in full production and expected to hit stores in the summer.

1 Like

Nice. I hope they didn’t rush too much. I have a good feeling about this synth…

Progress – It’s working and they are on schedule. October. Maybe new stuff – maybe !

Nick with Paul and Ben from PWM at Gearfest.

3 Likes

preorders are up in all the usual places. I can’t seem to find a decent image where I can see the front panel in detail. if anyone finds one, please post it.

I had the same problem, but used the SynthAnatomy video, the title starts out “PWM Mantis First Look”. At the start of that they close shot on the front panel, and pan across. You can see about 85% of it up close, just not the lower right part. Just stop the video at a few places across the front.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll take a look. Gassing for this synth once I heard the filter.

https://www.1pwm.com/mantisspecifications

1 Like
3 Likes

And available for preorder now (1599 €)

Looks very close to complete. Added a few extras too, like the four voice “system” they worked out and the control on sine waves. Also seems like they are finishing up with the factory patches. This looks to me a synth that can create a wide range of interesting sounds.

This demo sounds really good! If I didn’t have my Modal 001, I would envision Mantis in the same spot. I know that they differ a lot, yet I somehow feel that they would take on similar tasks, so it is hard to justify purchase of that synth. But it will be one of the instruments that I know, that I would be very pleased with just from listening to demos. And if I were to start from scratch, I would definitely buy it (joining the small club with Take 5, which existence I also appreciate tremendously).

No sounds in this video, but news that they have a completed firmware version, a final release on the hardware, and will begin manufacture, selling systems through retailers in May.

Shepard tone is one of the factory patches. They brought in a good variety of outside talent with the factory presets, which is nice. And they’ve finished up the 4 note paraphonic feature too.

I expect to see a sound demo video soon, when they can get a chance, or maybe from someone like Daniel Fisher

3 Likes