Making room on Digitakt

I’m about to delete all samples and projects from digitakt and reload backed up projects, scary yeah! I am but looking to clear unused samples so I can record and import more. Ok, so I’v backed up all my projects from Digitakt to laptop, while samples were being backed up but lost sync while backing up and after resume they started retrying from the bottom! I’m guessing they go in the same folders like but hoping their cool can anyone say if they will be ok ? From experience because theory doesn’t count today for me!

1 Like

Good luck! Recently just did this big backup myself with a similar intent (i still have ~150mb left so I’m not quite there).

Back up your sound banks too! From the slight amount of testing I’ve done, everything gets packaged up and is self contained while using Transfer. Would love to hear form someone who has actually done it though…!

2 Likes

Sound, good shout thankyou for that, currently just backing up digitakt #2 I hadn’t backed up sounds, now I’ll backup sounds on #2 then backup sounds on #1

2 Likes

Also if you didn’t know, the .dtproj and the .dtsnd (iirc the names correctly) can have their extensions renamed to .zip and explored (I used 7zip)

If something were to get messed up the samples are all there!

1 Like

I recently went through my entire +drive trying to make room, and here’s what I found:

If you haven’t updated your DT to the most recent firmware, then elk.herd is extremely helpful for this.

When you load up a project in elk.herd, you can click on any Pattern and it will show you what Samples are used in it. You can also click on any Sample and it’ll highlight all the Patterns where it’s used. (Although it gets confused by “plocked” samples.)

So if you can, I suggest opening every project in elk.herd and taking a screen shot of its latest state of samples/patterns before you Transfer it.

Once you reload everything back onto the deck, you can also use elk.herd to see if there are any missing samples. You’ll know them because they’ll be called something like “- - -”.

Transfer doesn’t like it when you try to grab everything at once. You’ll end up getting crashes and errors. It’s annoying, but I’d suggest copying each project or folder one-by-one.

That way you can make sure they transfer properly without your eyes pouring out of your face. Put on a good TV show or some sports or something take it slow.

As others have said, Transfer will copy all the samples you use in a project into the “.dtproj” files it creates, which are just .zips with a fancy name. This means you can see what’s in each Project pretty easily after you copy it over. All you have to do on a Mac is change the file name from “.dtproj” to “.zip” and then unzip it like any other folder.

Keep in mind that means that a folder full of .dtproj files can get big after a while, because they’ll each have their own copy of whatever .wavs you use in that project.

Also, remember that Transfer won’t transfer over any .wavs from the DT’s original Factory folders. I wasted hours and hours once looking through my sample library for a missing sample that turned out to be a DT factory one, which means it never got copied over.

The hashtag system is pretty good at recognizing samples, all your patterns should load up with the samples used in them, and there shouldn’t be any duplicates created on the +drive.

So, putting this all together — theoretically if you want to clean all the unused samples out of your DT and keep only ones you’ve used, all you have to do is:

• Use Transfer to offload all your projects,
  • then clear any samples or folders you want to get rid of,
  • and then drag those projects back onto the DT.

THAT SAID!!! I’ve done a complete data rip-and-replace of my DT a few times, trying to scrounge for space, and there’ve been couple places here and there were samples seemed to go missing. Not sure why.

But I did have to them hunt them down, which was annoying but actually not impossible. Again, elk.herd helps a ton here if you’re a version back.

Oh, and also—I don’t really use the Sounds library so I have no idea how any of this applies to Sounds. Just Projects. Sorry!

Hope all this helps!

5 Likes

Elk herd is the shit I know but I’m 1.5! I was thinking maybe I need save all projects on 1.5 os versions to. Ok not deleted anything yet ! Might wait lol

1 Like

Nice post! Thanks for the info

When I did this ages ago using the transfer app I pretty much lost everything.
Not because the samples didn’t load back to the correct slots and so on but because some samples for some reason in all 80 projects I backed up had a spike of digital white noise attached to them.

I did a test recently as there have been multiple updates for firmware and the transfer app since I did it over a year ago and it worked ok for the single project I tried but I haven’t tried a full backup since

1 Like

I had this happen to me too. I backed up all of my projects individually. Everything I’ve tried has worked except for one project. About 5 or 6 samples weren’t in the project. And when I tried to load them from the plus drive they had that digital noise. Luckily, I had saved a previous version of the project.

Point is, it mostly works. But it’s not perfect. If I was doing it over again, I would have backed up my samples separately.

3 Likes

Now I’m afraid again, it’ll take me to long because I’v a gig at a festival next week. I have microfreak so might just add samples to it for now! Hope there’s a new elkherd coming soon or a better setup on electrons softwares. Please and thanks lol

I did it on an early version of transfer and afterwards I did wonder if the first in the list of bug fixes on the next update is a fix for the digital noise problem

2 Likes

Elk Herd. Im a bow hunter. I hunt elk. If its called Elk Herd im in…, hahahaha