Making A/B changes when looping with Pickup Machines

I am doing guitar looping on the OT.

I was wondering if anyone has a smart idea, or has already solved this, for a “one-click switch” stop a loop just recorded, switch to a new track, and start recording a new loop.

And then I will want to switch back and forth layering things up.

Thanks in Advance!

There are several midi CC commands after each other needed for an A/B change. Maybe there’s a smart midi-footcontroller that can do that, but i don’t know any.

Another solutions is building (and coding) one yourself with an arduino and some switches. Look here for some inspiration: DIY: OT Pickup Machine footswitch (now with final pics!)

Doable with a footswitch togging between 2 values, and a midi processor, mapping to required messages

:thinking:…my MFC10 might be able to do that.
@avantronica used it to toggle between REC and Play. Up to 4 messages at the same time.
Connecting external midi controller

1 Like

No need for the ‘arduino’ path this way then!

I have to try with the MFC10 to confirm.

Better to have the choice. I may build something with Arduino one day…

Yes I thought multiple midi messages at once would be the trick, but there are not specific start stop per specific track messages. Just current selected track.

So, there would likely be a lag…? You’ll have to send stop to current track switch to next track start record and so forth. I guess a macro could do it fast enough?

I’m using the Logidy pedal, seems to only do one message at a time.

Not if you send the right sequence, something like
Stop / track increment / rec
You need another sequence :
Stop / track decrement / rec
Tests needed!

With an additional midi processor, you should be able to assign needed message sequences.

What is an additional midi processor? Is that the roll Arduino plays in this? I looked at the custom controller thread Burpy posted earlier. It seems people mostly starting and stopping the track they are on, with switches to move to next and previous tracks. I have to admit I can’t really read the code snippets posted so maybe I am not getting it.

I have no Arduino experience but I am down to learn.

You could program anything you want really, in your case you would want to program the arduino to send a stop recording message, then change track, and then start recording again, all when you press a single footswitch. Very doable!

I believe what sezare meant is that you can get a midi processor as an alternative (there are several, blokas midihub for example) which allow you to program them so that when they receive a given midi message, they change the message according to whatever you tell them to, and they send it out. This way you could make them do what you want with any simple midi footswitch.

1 Like

Yep.
Midi Processors with Octatrack