Make Noise 0-coast

I haven’t replied to your MIDI problem, because I don’t use the A4 as a MIDI sequencer.
But using CV e.g. from track 4, I can assure you I would hear 0-Coast sound when pressing A4 minikeys.
:slight_smile:

OK good to know - I’ll switch it all up and try it out - thanks again! :wink:

should work fine with midi.
Can you try with a different synth?
Probably something in the A4 settings
Your sequencer sends notes but the mini keyboard does not right?

1 Like

It’s not very clear to me what is happening to cause the problem.

• In the AF’s GLOBAL SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG > PORT CONFIG menu, have you set KEYBOARD DST to “INT” instead of “INT+EXT”?

• In the AF’s NOTE SETUP menu for the FX track in the pattern you are working on, have you checked SEND MIDI?

@Unifono
It seems to be one or the other from the A4 into 0~Coast for some really bizarre reason. Almost as if the midi signal / channel via the sequence and keys on the A4 are separate. I know it doesn’t make sense. I’m expecting to be able to run a sequence and still play in a note (rec or play mode) and hear it over the top. (The easiest way to build up a sequence on the fly of course in live rec mode).

@PeterHanes
I checked those settings and everything is correct.

Thankyou both for your replies!

I tried using the CV A/B cable out of A4 into 0-Coast and then I can send both sequenced notes and play the keys on the A4.

For the time being I’ve tried another way sequencing / clocking with a Keystep. Actually quite a lot of possibilities with it that I’ve not explored before.
Gate, Pitch and Sync out of Keystep to 0-Coast so I can build patterns on the fly and then Midi out from the Keystep clocking A4 with A4 CV out to DFAM to get everything synced and it works great. Both machines going back through the A4 FX - sounds awesome!
I don’t particularly like using the tempo dial on the Keystep for BPM clock but it’s all syncing as I wanted it too for now.

1 Like

Some 0-Coast fun alongside the superb Yocto in this new “Tips & Tricks” video from me :wink:

4 Likes

Is there a power solution to power both 0ctrl and 0C from one plug?

I may. Have seen it in a make noise video

Yes indeed. I think it comes with the Strega, but you should be able to find it I guess.

1 Like

Thanks for the info mate

Also, if I’m sending arps with midi the 0coast chokes on itself. Cv and gate is fine. Any ideas?

I need some buying advice in here: i got the 0-coast and the dreadbox typhon on my wishlist.
let’s assume i don’t need the typhon’s built in effects: would i be able to create almost the same sounds with the 0-coast (as the typhon can) and even more due to the (semi) modularity of the 0-coast?

I had the 0 Coast and sold it for the Typhon. The 0 Coast is fun and you can get some cool sounds out of it very quickly, but i found it to be a lot of work to get sounds that i could use in tracks. Just personally it’s a 1 oscilator synth with a wavefolder, so i found it to have a fairly limited pallete of sounds without external modules (a journey i’m not willing to go on). Overall if I was getting into modular i would probably love the 0-coast, but without any other modules it’s fairly limited. The Typhon on the other hand is very very useable and I’ve come out with no end of different sounds

2 Likes

no, not almost the same.
Very different.
The 0 coast main sound sculpting part is the wavefolder.
The typhon‘s main sound sculpting part is its filter, which the 0 coast lacks.

So any typical resonant filter sounds will be hard to mimic with the 0 coast.
On the other hand its wavefolder and audio rate modulation features can create sounds that are very atypical from a subtractive synth with filter.

Long story short, I think they would be very different regarding the sound palette and rather complement than replace each other

6 Likes

A better example of a semimodular in about the same price range whose pre-effects sounds are comparable to the Typhon would be the Pittsburgh Modular SV-1b ($700).

I’ve never used a Typhon, but I’ve watched demos and reviews. I’m working with a borrowed 0-coast right now. What you choose is dependent on what you already have and what else you plan to acquire, but as a standalone or something that fits in well with other synths and grooveboxes, the Typhon has more potential. For me, the 0-coast is more about experimenting with sound in a different way, and it feels very much like a first step on a journey into modular.

1 Like

I’ve been neglecting my 0-Coast since I went full modular, but I have Pulsar 23 incoming and I plan to use them together taking advantage of the 0-10V range on both machines.
Anyone using them together?

1 Like

yes they’re good friends! i’m using a set up now with 0coast/strega/pulsar into OT and that’s proving to be quite powerful. 0coast has a ton of modulation options to send to pulsar. especially like the random circuit since pulsar’s shaos is “pseudo random”

1 Like

I sold mine in the rush to a badly thought out first modular case a few years ago. I now have a much better grasp of modular and signal flow in general, and bought an 0-coast a couple of weeks ago. I can’t believe I sold it first time!

It adds unique functions (overtone/multiply) and loads of utility to my main 12u case. It can be battery powered and taken on the road, camping, to bed to scratch the patching itch. It rewards experimentation (my main aim with modular) as mentioned above. The design & UI is fantastic, it’s deservedly a modern classic synth with a unique sound.

8 Likes

I had the temptation to sell it more than once but I’m so glad I resisted it!

1 Like

I didn’t. I’m an idiot and have subsequently re-purchased one

2 Likes

And I sold mine to @PeteSasqwax and subsequently bought another a few weeks later :grimacing::roll_eyes:

3 Likes