Made money or a career from what you’ve learned since getting into music?

Anyone used the skills they’ve learned through making music to do other stuff related to sound/audio.
I saw an ad for voiceovers the other day and I’m gonna have a crack at it. I’ve got a mic, know how to edit audio so what the hell :man_shrugging:t2:
Might not be able to finish one of the million tracks on my hard drive but I’m sure I’ve got skills most people don’t, but need.
Would be interesting to hear if anyone else has done similar, or if not-why not give it a go?

1 Like

I’ll never make money but my pals big brother did offer a guest appearance on his radio show if I wanted it. He thought the track I did for the Firestarter challenge was hilarious/good. Explained to him in the pub about the Octatrack and he said I should go in and jam a wee set.

Never took him up on the offer. Maybe one day. And to be clear, this is a tiny local radio show that airs in the middle of the night and is an avenue for him to do his dj’ing (big on mid 90s horse/hard techno stuff).

After letting him hear my RoboCop/Street Fighter/Ghostbusters themed tunes his only ask was that I did something with Star Trek :joy:

2 Likes

Try anything and everything. A voice over sounds fun–good luck!

I’ve gotten lucky so far and hope to continue to get lucky. I work part time at a sandwich shop and spend the rest of the time practicing/recording (for myself ie no money), arranging/producing for a friend/client (very fun, challenging, and satisfying), working on an audio drama for a friend (atm not paid at all, but it’s stuff I would do anyway, and provides practice for composing, sound design, etc), and odd gigs here and there.

I randomly meet people who want me to record stuff for them–like keyboard parts (which pay), sounds, whatever. People will want me on bass sometimes, or vocals. I used to play bass and sing for a production company (where my Pic is from) but that didn’t last long.

People also want me to do sound. Like all of us here, I have experience with audio and you can transfer those skills to corporate events, podcasts, sound for bands, whatever.

Learn as much as you can and just talk to people. There’s a local music lessons store I go to and I just hang out, play their pianos and talk to the owners about music. We’ve been talking about getting me teaching there (recording, songwriting, something) and how that might pan out. It’s up in the air but I’m persistent and they like me.

Read the book how to make friends and influence people. Making connections is hard but you just gotta go out and meet people, compliment them, ask about themselves and provide value.

4 Likes

My only brush with a career in music was when me and my girlfriend at the time bagged a 2am slot on the university radio. Funnily enough they’d “double booked” us after they’d gone away and looked up what Gabber was and ended up giving our slot to some UK Garage DJ (fair enough, it was the turn of the century).

I’m working as a youth worker at the minute and I’ve been trying to convince my beurocratic overlords to set up a proper little music studio at the youth centre so I can run some groups, find the next Stormzy and produce my way to a life of coke and hookers off the back of angry youths. Problem is the British public keep voting for the Tories so no money for dem yoot again this year…

13 Likes

Nope, nada.

Did live sound for a mates band who were the entertainment for a government department Xmas party. Got $50, free food & drinks.

Started doing game audio for a startup crew I met in college. Unfortunately they were kinda disorganised and I pulled out to focus on study.

Got a bit of exposure from a few tracks played on community radio last year but that hasn’t translated into sales. Got a few though, so gonna keep going and who knows.

Started studying electronic engineering to keep going with my capstone research from SAE (looking at immersive sonic environments from a technical perspective). Became a filthy hippy & switched to environmental though.

So I think I can safely say, the dream is dead. Long live the dream!

7 Likes

I spent loads and never netted a dime and I got ripped off a number of times. I laugh at those that say they are “investing” when they purchase gear. That said, I have met some really cool people but I may have been able to retire had I just invested instead of spending coin on this nonsense. :joy:

3 Likes

I’ll play the opposing voice here (so far). I’ve been making a living full time from my musical interests for two decades, mainly from writing about it and as a sound designer. I have worked professionally for three decades in music-related fields, whether as a recording artist, session musician/tech, illustrator for releases, printer (ranging from stickers, t-shirts, and posters to signed and numbered fine prints for limited edition record releases). Along the way, I’ve worked with some of my musical heroes and some musicians who would one day be in the top of the charts (no thanks to me, I’m sorry to say!)

There are loads of ways to earn a crust in the world of music without giving up one’s integrity. I never wanted fame or fortune (and have achieved neither), but I’ve also not punched a clock in this century. It has it’s drawbacks (no vacations, and few days off), but immeasurable benefits (my now-grown son never spent a minute in day care, and is now my best friend).

22 Likes

I worked as a music counselor in a treatment center for 3 years, give private music production lessons, I used to get paid regular money for live performances at restaurants as a guitar player/singer, and I own a small company that sells eurorack cables. I’d say I am just getting started after working on music being a career since I was 14 years old, I am now 35. I am not done trying, not by a long shot.

6 Likes

I wish I had your talent and good fortune. This industry made me question why I didn’t just pursue physics or chemistry. Regardless, I think I still would have come to the conclusion that this business has problems.

I’m sure you have as much or more talent than I have. I do feel fortunate to do what I do, but none of it jumped into my lap. I just always pursued any opportunity I could, even if it wasn’t what I had planned. As long as I was involved in music, I was content. For the record, I always thought (and planned) to be an illustrator.

4 Likes

Hindsight is 20/20 , I feel the music game is not an easy one to break into. I honestly don’t think I could hack it as a regular gig. I’m a weekend warrior when it comes to music production. Maybe it’s better that way. You have musical talent though, don’t second guess that.

Here’s a quick story as well. At one point when I was writing and recording a ton of rap / hiphop projects, I thought I really had a decent shot at breaking into the industry locally. I helped some local rappers with some decent popularity in Sacramento and the Bay Area record mix tapes at my studio for years. I recorded projects with them as well as online collaborations with online forums. I thought my metaphors were so unique, probably too unique for most to understand the references.

The epiphany I had was attending a local freestyle competition and boy was I not into that part. I performed a pre written deal I had lined up, but after that, it lost its luster. Being young, naive, and having silly dreams, hah!

2 Likes

Painter/physicist at heart here. I get it. Good call with your son, btw. Much respect.

Nothing but love for you Scot_Solida; you and I have similar influences and probably share some friends. It’s just funny how life works out.

1 Like

I get paid for live sets unless I know the promoter and we work something else out but getting the actual gigs is hard in my city because the opportunities are minimal for live electronic stuff.

I have made money releasing my own music on Bandcamp. One of my EPs was very lucrative. And someone has paid me $20 for a single track, which I thoughts was ludicrous.

In short, unless you’re an engineer or do music for corporates, you aren’t going to see much money.

3 Likes

I work full time as a voice actor and its harder to get into than music… trust me. I’ve been at it for 20 years and my dad was one of the original big voices back in the 80s through the 90s and now retired. It’s KILLER MONEY, but it takes full time dedication, some serious drive, tons of connections with ad agencies and producers, and then you got to have skill and offer something different and special. I know that sounds discouraging, but I think the truth is much better than false platitudes. I’m not saying dont try it, but get ready for the fight of your life to make a $ at it unless you already have a strong VO career. There’s like 1% of us who do all the work, and the rest of it sort of falls into the “side-hustle” category. Just go look at voices.com and see the literally thousands of folks who want to get into VO and are willing to pay a website to be listed there as a VO actor. Its kinda like paying Soundcloud to say someone is a professional musician just because they uploaded an EDM track.
Also the only music related money I make is from a few friends who produce commercials and ask for help with a royalty free beat once in a while. Mostly music for me is a fun hobby between VO sessions.

6 Likes

Your profile pic, is that a Vector?

1 Like

That’s really cool. I am always amazed by the skill and discipline of a good voice actor. I’ve been at some tracking sessions for voice actors and they were some of the best prepared, most professional artists I’d ever seen (heard).

2 Likes

Thanks! I love it. Sometimes after a session I kinda of laugh and say to myself “I get paid to do this!?”. If anyone is interested, my site for voice over is christurbiville.com

3 Likes

yes indeed it is!

1 Like

Pretty cool listening to your work! Your voice blends so well into the content. It will be a trip if I’m ever watching TV or listening to the radio and hear your voice.

1 Like

i’m a drummer. once someone learns such things as 4-way coordination — brain works the different way, always & forever.
so, it’s too hard to detect how exactly it influences on earning money or career, but the influence is definitely there.

2 Likes