macOS 13 Ventura: What runs, what not

Probably it has something to do with os + processor + app combination, not sure but feels like that… I’m wondering what could happen on M2 Max laptops…

What I also learned - upgrade only if some apps ask for that, otherwise better to stay on stable version…

If I remember correctly same was with first intel based machines for some years until all apps were optimised.

Finally, maybe it’s a good idea to make “clean” install. Never was a fan of updating os, “format drive + reinstall all” feels more solid. Still takes so much time, can take days : )

P.S. - new system settings looks horrible : )

1 Like

weird, can’t speak for RME but ableton runs flawlessly on my studio ultra with ventura 13.1, maybe it’s scanning the vst’s at startup and some of them are breaking the boot?

I was a professional Mac admin until I had to navigate the Big Sur upgrade at my prior employer. I happily changed career focus after that.

A veteran synthesist/musician/composer friend of mine upgraded to Ventura and it broke his situation so hard he switched to a Windows laptop. I was like “you could have downgraded” but he was just done with it.

2 Likes

No idea what was the reason, but all Apps (Photoshop, Lightroom etc ) were very slow on startup, Ableton finally started after 5 - 10 minutes of “jumping”, and all installed plugins seemed worked ok, but RME suddenly disappeared from device list completely.

Don’t know! Downgrading to Monterey at the moment, and the thing is - you can’t downgrade without formating HD. Ok, saved all, erased disk. Made a Monterey SD card. Started to install and: “you can’t pair your wireless keyboard during installation, it’s not the last model, be doomed”. Heh, now need to go get a wired keyboard. Never though it would be so painful.

It will be fine at the end of course, but… If you not sure, DON’T UPGRADE!

1 Like

You could just install OS Monterey on an external drive and run and boot from that. Install everything there till compatibility issues get ironed out.

Just a suggestion.

1 Like

Agh, nice idea but too late : ) Disk erased!
However clean install feels good : )

1 Like

It does. I like doing that from time to time :+1:t6:

So what exactly did you do in the terminal? sudo is very powerful!.. Any kind of chmod on / ? :open_mouth:

I am running Ventura on MacBook Air for quite a while now and everything works fine.

All plugins, Ableton, Maschine, Elektron Overbridge, Roland Cloud, Arturia Collection.

Everything!

Only issue I have is with some few plugins that are not yet converted to Apple Silicon. Like some Native Instruments Stuff. In that case I can run it with Rosetta 2 which works fine.

Waiting for the new Mac mini M2 to be delivered and will report on the M2 compatibility once I installed all that ****…

2 Likes

I smoothly upgraded from Monterey yesterday. So far so good. Live runs fine, but I’ve not tested everything yet.

1 Like

So I’ve downgraded safely to Monterey everything runs smoothly again and honestly now I’m a little bit afraid of “13”, probably will pass till next version : )

About terminal, I’ve tried to uninstall some software in a messy mindset, don’t remember which exactly, maybe some kind of demo pack like Waves or else, and discovered a suggestion on the forums to use terminal, it was like 5 - 6 commands to erase all footprints of it from different system folders, I can’t be 100% sure but seems like troubles stared right after that (again can’t be sure, it was a messy process of transferring “everything” from my laptop to new Mac Studio, like doing many operations at the same time ).

Also RME midi ports on new system had and by the way still have weird names like “system midi port 1” (should be RME UCX port 1….), so I wanted to fix it to get the compatibility with earlier projects and used some suspicious terminal commands as well (again from some forum suggestions).

Not sure, maybe that was the real reason of my troubles, but anyway very happy with Monterey and don’t want to experiment with it again in near future)

Don’t want to blame new system, probably good chances that it will work ok with someone else’s setup, but my experience wasn’t too pretty

2 Likes

Want to ask the community is there a good way to “save” the state of my Mac workstation?

I’m quite happy with everything after installing all plugins, apps and sample packs etc. Maybe it’s possible to make image of the whole Macintosh HD, keep it on external drive and in case if something goes wrong again, just restore it to EXACTLY the same state?

I guess time machine won’t do that, or I’m wrong? And if I just make “iso” image of the whole hd with Disk Utility, how will I restore it? Is it possible to do it by booting with power button pressed and later restore via Disk Utility?

As I understand it, TM no longer includes the OS at all (for M1 machines at least), it stores everything else though. So I think you always have to start with a clean install & then do a TM restore. I’d prefer a complete image myself.

I have a 2011 MacBook & it’s impossible to install High Sierra from scratch on it now, I was thankful I had a TM machine backup after hours of frustration trying to get High Sierra on it. It isn’t certified or available in the App Store anymore, which is pretty disgusting. If I hadn’t had that image I don’t think it would ever have run OSX again unless I could track down some dodgy copy, yet windows works perfectly on it although getting that installed is a whole other challenge too, as the 2011 early Macs don’t support UEFI.

So in the future there will no doubt come a day when these M1 machines are no longer supported on the current OS, and then will no doubt come a day when the last supported OS is unavailable/uncertified & at that point TM backups will be absolutely zero use to get that machine working.

2 Likes

Yes, TM isn’t the ultimate solution here…

So I guess, just make Disk Image of the Macintosh HD and if needed later just format drive and restore it?

Will it work? Any real life experience with that?

I use SuperDuper for this all the time. It creates a complete copy of your Mac to a bootable external drive or as an image.

4 Likes

I just got an Apple refurbished 2020 Mac Mini M1 with Ventura… and Overbridge can’t see my digitone and syntakt while the mac can see them…

Any help ? I just reinstalled Overbridge, and still nothing.

Have you given overbridge permission in the Mac security section.

Also have you ran the overbridge engine to see whats going on

1 Like

I actually finally found out, I had given the authorization but AFTER I reinstalled it, I had to uninstall THEN reinstall (I restarted as well between each action, in case of…).

Now it works ! Very happy of my new set up

3 Likes

Question: When I open up a Safari tab that contains a site like Twitter with embedded audio/video files, I occasionally go from no audio to white noise, as if I’m suddenly monitoring an analog in even when I haven’t clicked to begin loading/playing any content.

Air M1, Interface is RME UXC mkii, if matters.

Is this a known thing with later MacOS Safari? I don’t recall this occurring in the past but I’m just annoyed enough to pay attention more now. Perhaps I ought to see if it occurs with the default speaker in the Air.

I have not experienced this yet. I don’t have the Air, but I have an M1 MBP, and Safari is my main browser. I think it’s a good idea like you said to see if it happens with internal speakers, to rule out any issue with the interface.

NI have just updated Reaktor to be compatible with Ventura and Apple Silicon. This was one of the last big ones for me so I’m quite pleased they’ve finally done it

3 Likes