Mackie Onyx mixers

They’ve come down in price a bit and I’ve been eyeing the 24 since it was announced. There just doesn’t seem to be much info on them. My goal would be to use it mostly to replace my focusrite 18i20 and OctoPre. Or add more tracks so I can keep my studio all set up. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I’ve picked up an Onyx 16 with a ridiculous EU 200 discount last year and use it mainly as studio mixer. It does everything it says in the manual and sound quality is totally fine. It’s built like a tank, but I can’t say anything about longevity.

It has a few limitations like no stereo returns (takes up a channel, just like USB input or SD card playback). Also, multitrack recording just gives the audio from the input and ignores the entire analog mixing part (which is fine if you’re recording a live band and will mix it again later). Effects are functional but sound a bit dated.
Even then, I feel like I got my money’s worth. It’s stable as a rock and easy to use.

2 Likes

I’m not sure which generation of the Focusrite 18i20 you have but the converters on the 3rd generation are capable of 24-bit/192 kHz, whereas the Mackie Onyx 24 does 24-bit/96kHz.

That may not matter to you. As for myself I’ve gone back to my beloved Mackie Onyx Blackjack (1st gen) 2x2 audio interface which only does 24-bit/48kHz. But I love the way it sounds. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeah, pre fader doesn’t bother me since the 18i20 doesn’t have any bells either.

1 Like

I didn’t realize that! I’ll have to look into it. Not sure if my ears could hear the difference but I’ll dig a bit deeper.

1 Like

Converters are so good these days. Yes, there are differences but it’s generally not the main thing that’s going to somehow make ones’ music better. Really, the thing to consider for whatever you use is if it has the routing flexibility that you need for your setup.

1 Like

Makes sense. I’m tempted to use all of them. Haha!

Yes! Use everything you got to the fullest.

Besides the Mackie Onyx Blackjack, I also have a Mackie 1402LVZ4 as well as a 402VLZ4 and they’re all great at what they do, when I need them.

On the other hand I’ve given up trying to chase the “everything I own must be connected” ideal because it was too stressful and reduced my hardware set up so much that all of the Mackie gear is all boxed up and my main audio interface is now an SP-404 Mk2 connected to my laptop via USB-C. It’s all I need.

1 Like

Hell yeah! I’d do that but when I write I end up using at least five instruments generally. Haha!

1 Like