Mackie 1642 VLZ4

Hey all I’m looking for a new mixer for my gear. So far I’m looking at this one. I used to own a Mackie back in 92 so I’m thinking this one will be fine for connecting 8-10 analog/digital synths plus a few FX pedals.

Thoughts?

Mackie 1642 VLZ4

It was either this or the new PROFXV3 mixers however I don’t see any return channels on those.

Anyone else have experience with this mixer?

Thanks

Sure:

Even more here:
https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=Mackie%201642

1 Like

I use a mackie 1202- but to be honest i don’t like any current mixer on the market

The only one which is really interesting in my opinion is the SSL Six- money well spent

2 Likes

The Mackie 1604VLZ4 is the one to get, it has 6 sends instead of 4 which are great for FX should you ever need as well as inserts on every channel which could be then sent to an interface to record your channels individually. (Insert a TS cable to first click)

If you’re not using the eq’s (not bad for a bass cut), the mackies are a great audio router/summer. Not many mixers including ones beyond my pay grade offer this much flexibility.

3 Likes

In my case i’m looking at mixers thinking oh yeah that looks like what I need then I check and boom it hasn’t the feature I’m looking for, then I see another one with a feature the last one didn’t have but then lacks yet another feature lol
All I want is 6-8 mono inputs - 3-4 stereo inputs BUT I definitely want at least 3 sends with at least 3 stereo returns.
So far Iv’e seen a couple but the price just goes higher. I do like the Mackie Mixers tho… not bothered about the usb to computer parts tho.

The mackie’s 14 and 16 offer what you need but imo the sound quality is really poor and mfg quality is not great.

2 Likes

Currently I don’t use a mixer I have a cheap Behringer UMC1820 and ADA8200 does the job but I was thinking I could use a mixer and feed the outputs to them

A small (or not so small!) desk is a great investment Rob. Sounds like you’re on the right track looking for flexibility in terms of inserts/aux busses. Unless you’re looking to upgrade in the short term I’d spend a few quid on something decent. Synths come and go but a decent desk should be a semi permanent fixture if you ask me!

1 Like

And as it does the lower end digital mixers start to creep into the picture.

Picking mixers is a challenge.

I like your pix so far.

2 Likes

I think the Behringer interface you have sound better than the Mackie😀

Mackie used to be good when they were made in USA/ when they moved the production to China all changed

My mackie 1202vlz4 has an unbalanced signal on the master output i need to pan left a couple of channels to correct it- this sort of things make the product cheap and non pro/ i also wrote to Mackie about it and they said that it is a design issue.

I’m sitting here looking at the gear I have Bunker and thinking WTF lol

Akai MPC X
ASM Hydra Desktop
Behringer TD-3 x5 (Overkill yeah but plan to (poly chain)
Behringer MS-1
Behringer Crave
Behringer RD-8
Roland MC707
Novation Mono Station

FX

Boss DD500 - RV500 (MD500 coming next week) hence I wanted 3 sends/returns as these are my main FX

1 Like

The 1642? I like that it has stereo inputs for Hydra etc I’m not sure the 1604 has them will have to google again

I would choose an Allen Heath over Mackie to be honest

The 1604 is all mono inputs but all you have to do is pan them left and right. Don’t forget 6 sends can also equal 3 stereo sends.

2 Likes

Back panel of the 1642

1 Like

You need a good desk mate

No point in having good hardware mixed in a crappy £500 mixer

Would you go used Rob? You can get a lot of bang for your buck with an older analogue desk. A&H, soundcraft etc?

2 Likes

The A&H mixers don’t offer the flexibility the Mackies do. 4 Stereo returns on the 1604 makes it effectively a 20 channel mixer. The eq’s on all these cheap mixers are borderline unusable anyway.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind if it was in good condition… The mixer for me is the hardest part to choose IMO

1 Like