Machinedrum vs analog rytm vs other? VI (a new hope MkII)

hmm ya sounds pretty good in a youtube video I just saw, but they didn’t say anything about features and stuff. is it only available DIY? has anyone built it?

I’ve seen a few where people sell assembled versions. Possibly used.

I would sell my DRM-1 for £575 - it is the standard trigger model (both CV and Midi). Fully boxed, almost 12m warranty.

Basically borrowed my buddies one for 6m and decided to buy a new one… then decided to buy more euro modules realizing I would just continue to use his as he’s travelling for the next 6m and I can purchase it at a later date :slight_smile:

PM me if interested, I purchased it last month and rather than return it (which I can), I’d rather help a fellow Naut…

would you say the DRM is worth it to have in the mean time and maybe mess around with a trigger sequencer, if I’ll have to wait to get an elektron anyway?

I think I might try my hand at building one of those LXR boxes. sounds like an interesting project.

1 Like

Maybe he’s been following this thread too… :wink:

3 Likes

It must be the season for falling in love with the MDUW <3

2 Likes

If you’re not in the spirit to build it yourself:

http://forum.sonic-potions.com/discussion/258/trusted-builders

has anyone mentioned the drumbrute. if i had need for a drum machine i would definitely be looking in that direction. i believe they are running at the 500$ mark new.

ya I’ve thought about it, but they are pretty expensive here compared to a lot of other stuff. I already have a beat step pro and there is, for example, a vermona drm mk3 for not much more used just down the street that I could use with the BSP for much of the same functionality. I tried one out briefly and wasn’t that crazy about it. I actually don’t really like the beat step so much either as a drum sequencer, but its not worth selling it, and I figure if i just get something like the DRM and use it with that for now, I could always sequence it with something else later. I still really want a MDUW and am planning on seeing if the guy will sell it for an extra $100, but if not, I’m leaning towards the vermona and maybe getting a digitakt or octatrack down the road a bit to sequence it. the guy with the DRM lives less than a ten minute walk from me, so I’m gunna go check it out tomorrow at least. I really wish I could buy gear from the states or UK more easily, but it ends up costing hundreds of dollars on top of the initial cost, and I just dont wanna bother with it.

1 Like

In case you haven’t heard. Audiothingies has announced a drum synth/sampler might be right up your alley :slight_smile:

You Said from Europa… Im in France and want to sell my under warranty uw mk2 tm1
Its in thé market section…

I’ve just found the joys of pairing these two machines together. Only for drums. The A4 is great for drums! Having analog drums mixed with digital drums is something else!

Back to the OP… it’s probably over budget but the Tempest could be another option. The people that have them describe it as much more than a drum machine and Karenn absolutely swear by them. If you are going to spend that much anyway then it might be worth thinking about.

1 Like

Sample per step is a blessing for creating an entire drum kit on only one channel!

No offense to the OP, but we all have the GAS for the same drum machines you have talked about with interest in the thread but don’t be disappointed because you didn’t get the md you were hoping to bc seller backed out. We all know that antsy feeling of wanting to get what you want and very disappointed when they fall through. But this could be a good thing, and I’m trying to bring light to the situation. A MDUW+ will show up, they always do because someone else has GAS for something else. I can only offer the suggestion of waiting as paitiently as you impossibly can or keep waiting and adding to that savings for an AR MK2 or these other drum machines that are on the horizon. Look at the new Jomox Alpha that’s coming. Yeah it’s got a pretty hearty price tag but you are getting a massive drum machine. Then there are all the diehard Jomox followers who will be upgrading to the Alpha and ditch their old ones.

Don’t settle for something less when you already have the main tool to make some pretty sick percussion’s already. I saw you started asking about Drumbrute. I had the drumbrute briefly because I wanted something that I can throw a beat down with some recorded movement with a simple in your face workflow. Drumbrute is that, however, you need to dial in each instrument nearly every time. It was a fun machine to push through the Heat but I haven’t found anything yet I don’t like going through the heat.

I’m encouraging you to stay on path with what your goal is. The only other advice I can give is when you do get your uw, do not ever get rid of it. Even when you think it’s just not clicking. That machine is a Swiss Army knife of ability.

I was reading up on the machinedrum’s forum last night, just looking for the creative ways other people have been utilizing it. I think the most interesting thing I found was @Ryan’s way of creating random generative patterns and with octatrack and any other synth with cv (which you already have A4).

Learn as much as you can about what eletronauts have been doing with this drum machine. And be PAITIENT. The digitakt jump is still going on and the mk2 releases will make more people ditch their originals.

So many creative people here and in your thread giving you great advice who know your struggle so well.

I’m sure if one pops up one or all of us will be point you to their direction. Good luck bud!

3 Likes

sage advise I’m sure. it is definitely not easy to wait, but i really don’t want to end up with something that i’ll end up wanting to sell/replace, so i am trying to be patient and wait for the right one to pop up. no luck yet, but i’m sure i’ll find something eventually.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice! probably kept me from making a couple rash decisions.

i would suggest buying a Digitakt they are way cool …

that said, a Machinedrum is also very awesome.

1 Like

Found a super good deal on an AR. I have a friend coming to visit from the states who has agreed to bring it for me. I wasn’t able to find a MDUW as cheap, and the Sonic Potions LXR looks interesting for the kinds of sounds I was looking to get out of it and seems to be a doable project. Who knows, I wouldn’t put it past me to scoop up a MD if one pops up near me again, but I’m pretty sure I’ll be satisfied with the AR. The sequencer looks like more fun, and I really dig the way it sounds. Arguably not as interesting, but I’m a sucker for good straightforward analog whatever you wanna call it. Live sampling is really the only thing I think I might miss, but I’ve had a Pittsburgh Modular SV-1 sitting in an otherwise empty case for a time now, and I’m thinking it might be interesting to check one of those Make Noise sampling modules for that. A mk2 would have been nice, but I’m getting this mk1 for literally half the price, with warranty for the next two years. I’ve been wanting to finally check out some eurorack stuff for a while now, and not spending the extra $800 on a mk2 makes me feel a little better about finally doing that.

Thanks for all the help fellas. It is very much appreciated.

1 Like

I know, I know. There are a lot of these threads.

But we all love them :wink:

Someone just offered me their Rytm mk ii in exchange for my Machinedrum UW+ mk ii. Only had the Machinedrum for a week, and I really like it, but from what I hear on YouTube, I like the sounds from the Rytm even more.

It seems, price wise, to be a fair deal. I like to sound design, so I’m a bit worried the rytm isn’t quite as deep as my MD. what are your thoughts on these two?

1 Like

Max Marco has a thorough explanation why you should keep the machinedrum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-frQbnefB2s

2 Likes

keep it, save bucks for a rytm and sell the md in a few years, when prices go really, really up!