Machinedrum vs analog rytm vs other? VI (a new hope MkII)

Until Beheinger will release a MD clone, the MD might loose value lol

1 Like

C’mon, that’s ridiculous!

I find the comparisons between the analoge rhythm and the MD somewhat inaccurate, since both machines have a lot of potential, but also a different architecture. The question is, where do you want to go with your sound? The MD is perfect for IDM / Minimal sounds and is a wonderful live tool, as you can quickly change all the sound parameters via the control all function. the analog rhythm has a faster access to the project and sample structure and fat analog sounds that I miss at the MD. My suggestion: Keep the MD necessarily. A classic. Even in a cupboard it just looks nice… And it never gets bored…

1 Like

Logically, you seriously need to play with a Rytm in person to form a proper opinion. Easier to find Rytms than machinedrums on the market these days, so tread with care my advice.

1 Like

I am sure there are many people out there who are kicking their own shins for not buying MDs from the last batch, while the AR MK2 is readily available and has come down in price since it’s been launched. I wouldn’t lightly let go of a fully working MD in good condition. Also, don’t be fooled by YT videos. Mastering these machines takes a while and if I were in your position I would spend some serious time with the MD first. So no, from my point of view this is not a good deal at all.

Oh and something else from my own experience: the AR MK2 is a fantastic drum machine, in fact it’s my favorite on the market right now, but it does take some serious effort to make it live up to it’s full potential.

3 Likes

I sold my UWMKII+ for an AR MKI.

When did you sell? Would you do it again? I’m asking because I’m kind of sad I never had and MD. On the other hand I’m convinced Elektron will bring it back at some point (probably wishful thinking) and I’m probably spoiled by the current sequencer and the MD lacking many of it’s features.

I wanna know too. When did you sell it and would you do it again? I’ve sworn to keep mine but I’ve also been very tempted to either trade for a ar mk2 or sell it to purchase one.

I sold it a few months ago, and yes I would sell it many times if it was possible! :smile:
I’d buy it again, if I was rich, and I’d buy all Elektrons. No jealous!
I bought my AR the day after. It has limitations, but I prefer analog oscs, filters, and overdrive, TRC, better fx, simpler workflow, samples quality / available RAM…almost too simple!

I didn’t find MD synthesis great, I needed more envelopes and more lfos : 1 or 2 per track is not enough for me, 14 lfos max because I used CTR 8P and CTR AL machines, with complex choices in order to modulate them (OT have 48 lfos…:thinking:).

Changing machines being boring I ended up with changing them with OT + a midi processor. It worked really well, but added complexity.
Playing MD sounds with midi notes reversing their phase, it was difficult to use MD sequencer at the same time, because of clicks.
Sequence MD with OT only? :sketchy:

Interested by Digitone, I thought that I’d have a great combo with DN+OT, replacing advantageously an MD. An opportunity to get an AR MKI I wanted too : no regret! :content:

MD is amazing. 16 tracks : I made some midi presets with a software to use 2X4 poly tracks. I can sequence and play MD chords from the A4 :ok:
Then use the A4 filter on… This is just so cool.
Percs are amazing, bitcrushed samples etC…

1 Like

I like the Rytm. A lot. I’ve had Mk1 and Mk2 units, and currently have a Mk1. However, I wouldn’t even think about swapping my MDUW+ Mk2 for it or any other drum machine. Mind you, I have lots of other Elektron machines, so already have access to Conditional Trigs. Even so, I prefer the raw synthesis power and higher track count, cooler interactive sampling of the MDUW. Plus, it’s far easier to get a Rytm. You can get a used one for cheap or buy a new one any time. As @Ozone says, Machinedrums are getting harder to find and their prices are likely only to go up.

3 Likes

I agree with Hans_Olo about the missed opportunity for grabbing a final run of the MD, and how much I like the AR.

I don’t think I could sell one for the other, and would just wait til I found a good deal and had the cash to get it. Not being flush, it took me a long time to decide between grabbing the AR vs. getting the MD. The sampling options on the MD were the biggest reason I was indecisive as I am really big on live sampling/manipulation. Seeing that both machines are extremely different and you’ve barely had time to delve into the MD, I suggest hanging on to it for a while to learn the depths of its awesomeness.

Got a mint Machinedrum UW+ mk ii? That s gold so don t let it go too quick. Work it to find out whether you like it. I ve had an mk1 for about 15 years and a uw+ mk2 since recently. MD has never bored me.

AR will be easily available new and used for a while to come so no need to jump on this deal.

I also own an AR2 and absolutely love it too. Great complements.

Woah. I haven’t been on this site in forever. I never even ended up getting the machinedrum, cause the guy wanted to keep it and changed his mind, so I got a RYTM and used that with my analog four for a while, but I. ended up selling that and getting some other stuff and eurorack, diy, etc…, but I just got a Digitone and im pretty happy with it so far, but a machine drum with sampling would still be super cool…

Best combo imo is the machinedrum ANDthe analog rytm. They play awfully nice together at least sound-wise. A more powerful drum combination you´ll be hard pressed to find!
Especially with the later OS for rytm; the one that lets you bring out the dual oscillators properly tro get a monster bassline synth on top of all the drums!
These two machines… or at least the MD, will join me in my grave. I guess i could be forced to part with my Rytm if it was truly serious matter of life/death or likewise… but not the MD.

It´s just so damn useful and has a unique sound! And today i stumbled upon the info that it´s possible to buy/build a MegaCommand, to open the mechine up even further - and with this a new operating system is also available. Even if it´s a beta it´s very cool, i think. People are still so enthusiastic about this wonderful machine, to even make new OS-s for it. Love it, my brothers & sisters of MD lovers!

god I wish I could’ve gotten that machine drum while they were still relatively affordable. it definitely would have been the right decision. I ended up with a Digitone + Digitakt setup, but now that I heard the DT might be getting upgraded, I’m afraid I’m probably going to be left in the dust again, as far as monetary value goes. Anyone know anything about that btw? I was considering selling my Digitakt for something more basic and portable but hesitated when the price jumped up. I really like the digitone, but I still haven’t really found the perfect drum machine yet. I probably need to spend more time with it though. I’m basically stuck not being able to assign sounds from the drive. I figure financially I probably won’t get anything better without losing a bunch in the sale/purchase process. People seem to like it, so I’m sure I just need to spend more time with it. Anyone using it with a ZOIA btw?

1 Like

@safeasmilk There are 2 MD on sale with reasonable price… if could help…

https://fr.audiofanzine.com/bar/elektron/Machinedrum-SPS-1UW-MKII/petites-annonces/

1 Like

Thank goodness there are still people out there that are willing to sell these amazing pieces for reasonable prices.

It is inevitable that I will actively seek out a Machinedrum again and hope that one of those saints will be around for me

2 Likes

I’m not going to try and decide whether that is a reasonable price to charge, since these are now collectors items, but the one i had an opportunity to buy was like $400 for the 1UW-mkII, so in comparison to that it is a lot. My primary instrument is guitar and i already ha more money invested in that and recording gear, tons of pedals, stuff to make pedals, some synths and stuff to make more synths and drum synths and eurorack, etc. I do get that it could be worth it for other people though. I’m pretty sure i would prefer it to the DT

1 Like

Also i live in Norway, so import tax is like insanely high, so it wouldn’t be affordable (to the degree that it is relatively I guess) after tax and shipping

1 Like