Machinedrum UWs going for crazy cheap?

I’ve seen UWs going for as little as £650 on ebay recently, which seems nuts. I bought mine 2nd hand for £800 a couple of years back, and want to sell it, but I’m disheartened to see them going for so little. You guys think this is because of the Digitakt? I remember when they were first announced as discontinued folks were trying to sell them for loads… but now it seems they are going for crazy cheap.

Are you disheartened because you’re trying to sell one though or for some other reason? There’s a lot of other stuff out there including analogue rytm I don’t think the digitakt has any impact on it at all

Well you always have some bargain to had on ebay… On the other hand there is a uk guy which actually seem to do a business to bought n sell md, and from ebay history he sold several for 1400+ these last times.(some not even uw… I checked this some days ago … i have one i tried sell low as 850 e, but no one take it when i needed money… Now rise the price to 1000 euros, and more and more think i will rise it to 1500 now, as i was always on the fence to sell it… Even if elektron release a new "sort of md "im pretty sure it wont have the same algos and feature than this one…(just a personal advice) I might be wrong, but i think i will become collector…

Why not putting it at instant buy for the price you want instead of bid?? There always rich guy whicb need thing immediatly on ebay, even more if the brand is in the wind…

Check this guy sale history…

It’s just hit and miss with things like music equipment. I think most of it is just supply and demand right now, so the price fluctuates. People sometimes think these devices are “investments” that they’re going to get a rate of return on and that’s just not the case. A lot of it is just luck. I go into it knowing (presuming) I’ll be lucky to get 50% back, so anything above that is just a bonus in my mind.

I think MD’s are pretty unique and worth having, but the market has been flooded in recent years with high quality drum machines and drum samplers, so a lot of people are selling their MD’s and moving on.

3 Likes

At the price you listed tried to bump your ad…

But its not clear if its selling a Machinedrum and what UW model := MKI, MKII, MKII+Drive thats make the difference on the price tag.

Yep, purely selfish - disheartened because I want to sell mine, want an OT instead!

I must have been lucky; I’ve bought and sold a lot of synths over the last few years, and nearly all of them I’ve got 80-100% of the cash back. A few went over what I bought them for when I put on ebay. I found that kit over a certain value e.g. £500 ish tend to hold their value. Ah well, I’ll hang on to it for a bit longer…

Most of the ones I’ve seen are UW + drive, which are all mkii

So you had 2 years use for 150.00? Sounds reasonable.

4 Likes

It is totally reasonable. That’s the way I always think about it, just gutted as I thought I’d get more to put towards the OT. Last time I looked they were going for a lot more. Was wondering if the new Elektrons had impacted the resale marekt, that’s all really

I think it’s just a bad time to sell the MD as there are a lot of new options on the market. You wanting OT mk1 or 2? You could get a mark 1 second hand for a similar price.

1 Like

Right, so I’m not saying it can’t be done or doesn’t happen… I’m just saying I plan on getting ~50% out at best. I don’t see it as an automatic 100% several years later or profiting. These things aren’t “investments” – it’s not a mutual fund with a 20 year track record. I see it as myself spending the full amount for that time/enjoyment and anything I can pull back out is great, but not guaranteed.

I’ve done really well on some things and kinda “meh” on quite a few things. Though I once sold a cell phone 2 years later for more than I paid! How, I have no idea… there was a bidding war for it. :smiley:

1 Like

Still undecided… I used to have mk1… so I’m kinda coming back full circle! I’m sure I’m not the first. I kept my flash cards with all my OT stuff on though, so must have know deep down I’d come back to it later :slight_smile:

Watched a few vids of the mkii, still can’t decide if I can justify the extra for (mostly) a few quicker menu jumps

there are more diff UW i have an UW MKI. non plus drive

Oh right OK, I didn’t realise. Looking at the legacy pages it doesn’t mention that version -I just assumed all UW were mkii. Assumed wrong :slight_smile:

I don’t have much experience in selling my gear, but I recently I had to sell some equipment, I’ve noticed that it just take a while before potential buyers express interest, most people are in wait and see mode if they are looking for particular second hand gear and will only buy quickly if the price is significantly under market value.

If you need to sell at market value, it just takes time because second hand market as well as for new gears is not that big.

If you don’t need the cash urgently, I recommend you just remain patient and ammenable to potential buyers, and to not mind people expressing initial interest and parting their way.

2 Likes

Good advice, cheers my man :slight_smile: