Machinedrum - Still relevant or a nostalgia piece?

I always run my MD through my Rytm inputs. layering em together is a dream

4 Likes

MIDI 1 has always offered 14bit resolution, which is more than enough, it is up to synth manufacturers to take advantage of this.

4 Likes

MIDI 2 will be backward compatible with MIDI 1.

2 Likes

will MIDI 2.0 enforce manufacturers to install the jacks the same way? always fun turning the plug one way, then the other, then “nope, maybe I had it right before…? oh wait…! it’s installed sideways! really!?!”

As long as nothing else sounds like the Machinedrum, the Machinedrum will continue to be relevant.

11 Likes

Man, that was really cool

I agree with BeardyJack, the UW version is much more capable as a sound exploration tool.

2 Likes

At the end of this video, I sampled the entire output of my song, including the MM incoming signal. Muted all the tracks and trigged the sample in x00x00x0 x00x00x0 beat and went filtery and echoy. Had a little fun with start point too. Nice trick to move to the next song in a live performance or break up and flip the beat.

9 Likes

No individual outs for the MD then?

I’ve had my Machinedrum for a little over 2 years and I’m still finding new tricks to coax weird percussion out of it. I usually use it for more 808 / 909 style sounds and it does great! It is still relevant for sure. A few things I’ve learned over the years.

• The Dynamix Compressor can drastically change the feel and overall sound of a pattern

• CTR-al feature makes it easy to come up with different drum kits quickly , do drum fill transitions, or just get crazy weird sounds.

• The CTR-GB and CTR-RE can automate the delay and reverb settings.

• Layering machines / samples is key to get sounds to pop a little more

• Combine real-time RAM record and playback with CTR-AL and enter into a whole new world of glitcy layers

The MD does have a distinct digital flavor to it, which I don’t mind. I usually run it through some distortion / saturation Vst or reduce the bit rate on it to take some of the digital edge off. You can RAM record and play back to have the sound go 12-Bit lo fi.

MD is also very to the grid, so best for 4/4 stuff. I make break beat, ambient, and techno therefore I am fine. You can RAM record loops and adjust the start points to get a more OFF the grid feeling

Once you’ve built your muscle memory with it, it is easy and fast to come up with great patterns. Hard to do tonal / chromatic stuff with it, but not impossible. I’ll never sell mine!

9 Likes

Doh, i responded to nirun´s post where he said he routes his md through the rytm…

1 Like

Totally agree on the muscle memory. Once that is down, jamming gets so much more fun and interesting.

I made an entire hip hop album on the MD and think it’s a very versatile machine for all generes, not just techno. Tho it does certainly excel at that.

6 Likes

link plz? I’ve always thought the MDUW is possibly the most criminally slept-on device for hip-hop beatmaking - something I used to do more often but haven’t focused on in some years

3 Likes

Def! its got a strong vein and is def something that can bring something new.

I used the SP303 vinyl sim to master it so it gets a little lofi quality that it needed. But the beats bang loud in venues.

14 Likes

Aslo, one thing I always find helpful when loading in drum hits is leave just a little silence before it so if you want a little offset from the strict grid but not swing, you can get that.

3 Likes

sounds even better in that context than I expected! great job man!

I often like to re-sample by manual triggering so I can get a funky length of silence on the beginning :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Hey, thanks! You have any MD hip hop stuff online? I’ve been enjoying the Digitakt hip hop thread too.

truthfully, i would be using the MD/MNM/Rytm individual outs if i had more inputs on my interface.

for now if I want to capture just specific sounds I will just mute/unmute tracks to record the various parts.

would be nice to split up the percussion and process & record individually with plugins and sum inside of the interface before hitting the rytm inputs.

Must be relevant because I try to trade my mint OTmk1 for a MD for ages without success.

1 Like

a) The same things that I found outdated and annoying on it when I first got it.

b) These days; you could argue about the limited sequencer, UI/UX; kit/pattern management etc.; but refer point a)

1 Like