Machinedrum SPS1-UW X.10 Released [ Unofficial ]

I just compared against 1.63

• 1.63 also has the tempo drift in STRT mode when slaved.
  • Pattern changing only responds on base channel in X.05, as opposed to base channel group in 1.63.
1 Like

Hi Justin,
Thks to clarify these points.
Regarding the drifting behavior, I think i’ll directly take an eventual advice from the Elektron support. Or maybe someone here found a way to advoid this issue using an external sync ?

Thanks so much, this solved my problem with crashing or UI becoming unresponsive.

Maybe someone can help me out a bit, it’s been a long time since I have messed around with the midi settings on my MD.

Basically I just want the MD to follow the banks and patterns of my master which is the OT.

I am not interested in controlling the MD from a controller, keyboard or my DAW.
Nor do I want the MD to control anything other than have output on the midi machines.

I have set program change to channel “10” and base channel to “10-14”

I have removed everything from the Map editor, as I dont think this is relevant for my use (For now)

When I set base channel to “–” the MD does not respond to pattern changes.

Does this seem correct?

From the manual:
“If the MIDI base channel is turned below “1-4” it will display “–”. The Machine-
drum will then not send out nor react to MIDI data. System common and System
real time MIDI messages, such as MIDI timing and MIDI synchronization, are not
affected. Use the “–” setting when you want to control other synthesizers but not
have them react to the internal sequencer of the Machinedrum. You can of course
still control other synths using the MIDI machines.”

Thanks so much for this hotfix and all the work that has been done.

Warning: feature request incoming… sorry :slight_smile:

My favourite sub bass generator is the Monomachine. Pure digital sines, low low low, and you can dial in how much grit you want to add on top. GND-SN can almost do it but is one octave too high. How would you feel about adding a GND-SUB that is tuned one octave lower? All I personally need is one sine but if you wanted to make it more complete, some ideas would be mixing between sub and triangle, variable distortion, tempo synced tremolo…

Love the work already done here and would die happy if nothing is added. Cheers :slight_smile:

7 Likes

As I’m still trying to get a sense of what this crazy update lets me do with just my MD, I am getting curious of what getting an MC would be able to achieve on top of this.
I have a guy here where I live (korea) who can build one for me, but even DIY can get a bit costly (around $350) so I’m trying to decide if it’s worth it or not.
What exactly would MC give me when paired with MD and X.05 firmware??

You might want to check out this thread and the User Documentation which is linked in the first post.

1 Like

Thanks for this great new os!

However, it seems the last version (x.05C) causes a problematic bug on my MDUWmk2.
I don’t see anybody posting bugs, so maybe its just my machine… Didn’t have that problem with the X.04 version though.

Bug description:

• no problem installing and playing the X.05C os for about an hour. (I’m using the MD on its own, no MCL)
  • But after turning it on the 3rd time or so, the bug appears and doesn’t go, even after turning it off/on again. However, after a Factory Reset it goes back to normal… Until it reappears after a couple of uses.
  • The bug: Almost all tracks don’t trigger sounds. All tracks are well recorded, everything seems normal on the sequencer, but only a few tracks produce sound and light up the leds accordingly on the 16 leds above the wheel. The first time i only had the track 1, 7 and 8 working. The second time, only the kick (tr 1). And this is for all patterns, including the factory ones.

So it’s a bit strange, i’m not sure it’s X.05 related. Still i didn’t had that with X.04. I didn’t use any of these versions extensively, the bug appeared rapidly with the X.05.

If i’m not posting in the right place, please tell me.

Many thanks!

Could it be some weird midi bug that would mute some of your tracks?

I had weird midi behaviors that I got rid off by powering the MCL with a power adapter rather than the computer.

Oh man, you’re right. The tracks are just muted oO

… can’t believe im puzzled by this for 2 days, How lame…

So, it’s not totally impossible that mute status were altered at startup, but it’s probably just me being dumb :smiley:

btw, does the MD retains mute status when turned off/on ?

yes

Hi, if I haven’t upgraded my regular Elektron MD software yet to this. Can I directly upgrade it to X.05 without installing the previous versions of the X software? Thanks.

Yes

1 Like

Thanks! Looking forward to updating.

Found a bug, it’s an oddly specific one:
TL;DR: Double-pressing STOP wrongly resets the mute state for track 6 (“CP”)

Setup:
Choose a pattern that has a kit with synthesis machines, especially in track 6 (so that you can hear the issue). Make sure there are a few triggers present in T06

Steps

1. With all tracks unmuted, press PLAY; you hear the pattern
  2. Press FUNC + MUTE and mute track 6 (you can close the mute screen or keep it on)
  3. Double press STOP
  4. Press PLAY: even though T06 is muted, you can hear its sound. If you still have the mute screen on, T06 appears muted on the UI (but not in terms of audio). The expected behaviour would be to have T06 silent.

Alternatively (using the same setup):

1. Mute all tracks
  2. Press PLAY; you hear nothing out of MD
  3. Double press STOP
  4. Press PLAY again; you expected to hear silence again, but instead you hear sound from T06.

Hoping this helps

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s related to the recent update, but i noticed that i can’t modify the swing to one track only. Even if i select the track on the swing screen, increasing the swing seems to affect all playing tracks. Has someone encountered the same issue ?

Hmm, I take it from your wording that you mean the swing percentage, is that right? if so, that was always common across all tracks.

In other words, you can’t have e.g., 60% in one track, and 50% in another.

On the other hand, the swing trigger pattern is different for each track.

HTH

Thanks for your answer, bur i already know that the swing percentage stays the same for all tracks (i read the manual).
I just can’t influence only one track even if i select it on the swing screen.
For instance, if i want to add swing to the hit-hat, and keep the kick stable, it doesn’t work anymore.

did you remove the swing trigs from the kick track?

Of course if i remove the swing pattern from the kick, this track won’t be influenced by the percentage amount. But referering to the swing section of the manual, this is not related to this issue.

It’s a bit odd and maybe there’s something i didn’t understand in the instructions, but it seems that if i’m assigning the swing to an individual track, all the other ones are individually influenced as if the All option was selected on the swing screen.
Is it supposed to work like that and should i remove the default swing pattern from each track to avoid that ?

bit confused here, also it’s been a while since i used standalone MD.

selecting swing give a choice between all and individual track, so if you select individual tracks remove all that tracks swing triggers if you desire no swing to affect that track.