Machinedrum SPS1-UW X.04 Released [ Unofficial ]

If you do a bit of Googling you can get some idea, there’s software out there which can emulate parts of the Machinedrum which I believe they used to help them figure out how to reverse engineer the firmware.

But it must have required a huge amount of patience, perseverance and talent to gain a full enough understanding of the (un-commented) assembly code in the firmware image to make these changes, it’s an incredible achievement and even if the methods to extract machine code from the firmware were public, it would require so much work to get to the stage that this is at.

It’s a bit of a shame that Elektron aren’t OK for them to open source this project, I personally would love to take a look at it, more out of curiosity than anything… but at the same time there is something to be said for a small team who understand the project intimately, and it’s cool that it has any kind of blessing from Elektron :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I’ve been using it for a few days thinking that every PTCH value change was a half-step and wondering why my patterns didn’t sound right… it’s 2 steps for every semitone! d’oh!

2 Likes

I’ll be working on more cheat sheets for the other machines soon! The FM machine is serious now. Lol

3 Likes

X.04 looks like a silver box revolution!!! So excited

Infinitely Thanks to the team!!!

I’ve got a script for Mozaic that lets me play a midi keyboard and converts it to PTCH CC commands and then plays the trigger. I have to still press the trigger and encoder to get the p-lock to register but it’s a lot faster to dial in. Need to make it support multiple notes at once and set the other oscillators to relative values

2 Likes

You mad lads, this is amazing. Love seeing the MD get new life into it. Updating now, thanks team!

1 Like

Tiny bug report, not sure if it was mentioned before.

Go to kit edit, copy a machine that is set to TONAL with func+rec, change tracks and paste it… TONAL setting is not copied. Not a huge deal, just wanted to mention it! <3

1 Like

Hi guys, update is fantastic, really appreciate it!

There is one issue though: LFOs are going out of sync after a few patterns.

Do you have the same issue?

Agreed. I’m no programmer as much as I’ve dabbled at times. I understand why they won’t, don’t want to give all that hard work that makes the elektron machines what they are away to just anyone.

I’m looking into how to open a sysex file to look at the code for myself but I know I’ll just be lost looking at but, yeah it would be cool to be able to get to that level of understanding in order to make my own changes.

Those guys really put in a lot of work I’m sure just to do what they’ve done and have elektron being cool with allowing it on their site and such is quite and achievement. Don’t own a MD and having the OT I can appreciate the OG machine for the classic it is.

1 Like

smooth, please submit a track to X GND project :slight_smile:

This update is amazing! My favourite drum synth just got new life! Impressive! Thanks to all devs!

Edit: The new GND machines are frigging perfect! Also very versatile, intuitive and immediate! And the pitch controls allow me to play melodic stuff on the Machinedrum - something I’ve done A LOT anyway - more easily. Next step: buy MegaCommand.

I’d gladly buy you guys a pint, @v-yadli and @JustinValer!

3 Likes

I got a lot of joy today when I realised there’s now a whole new world of bass drums available with the sine machine. I set the tuning mode to default and dialed pitches 2 to 4 a bit randomly around zero to make a very dissonant “chord”. Then when I played that with the base pitch suitably low, hey it’s a kick drum! The dissonance kind of disappears I guess because of the relation between wavelengths and decay time. For extra oomph there’s the usual ramp parameters, for more boom as always I like to use a square LFO in trig mode, speed between 16-24 and depth 10 to 20, assigned to decay, and for some bite you can use a fast exponential LFO set to distortion to make it click (a trick I learned years ago by reading @JustinValer’s report on how he made the 808 kit).

Play those dissonant sines at a higher register for the body of a snare drum. It sounds very Kraftwerk to my ears.

9 Likes

Sorry if this has already been asked, but how does the MIDI control of mutes work? Is it CC’s? If yes, could you kindly tell us which ones, on which channel?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

And thanks, of course, for this crazy update!

any chance of ever implementing pitch 1/2/3 pseudopolyphony for ROM machines?

1 Like

No knobs for that – thoughts?

Yeah! Stacked OSCs really give an extra punch for the GND kick!

I already say thanks to the devs, but thanks again and again for your work !

I have an issue with a GND-PU machine : I do [func] + twist a knob to do a CTR-AL operation, when I reload the using the shortcut [func] + [extended], it makes a small glitch, like it cuts the sound of the output for a very small amount of time. When muting the GND-PU it doesn’t append, but when I unmute it, even after reloading the kit, the glitch happens.

It’s not a big deal and it’s only with one sound but I wanted to let you know :slight_smile:

Did anybody noticed a similar thing?

Edit : Maybe it’s due because I exceeded the polyphony of the MD?

not really (but i’ll try some specific scenarios you mentioned) but there’s all kinds of quirks when using CTR-AL function and resetting… some satisfyingly unexpected, sometimes a bit jarring… a symptom of the unpredictability of shifting parameter settings in the box?

GND only jam with a TD-3 and a PT-10 featuring some jarring resets :wink:

24 Likes

love that sound :loud_sound:

1 Like

I’m trying to comprehend what I’ve just listened. :open_mouth:

2 Likes