Machinedrum SPS1-UW X.04 Released [ Unofficial ]

Huge thanks for the sound demo. Greatly appreciated, I’d been planning to get my MD back into action for the next project I’m planning and I’ll defintely be putting this firmware on. I really like the sound of the TRX-SD2. Thinking that the NTUN and NTYP are begging to be plocked or LFO’d.

1 Like

Cheers, looks great!

1 Like

Thanx for that.
It sounds like you could get a nice short sharp snare with tuneable noise.

1 Like

Fantastic. Massive respect to @v-yadli and @JustinValer for undertaking this work.

Are there any plans to release a tutorial for hacking on the firmware? A while ago I saw there was some work in the MAME project to emulate the Machinedrum and Monomachine…

1 Like

nice tip off thanks for the MAME project info - always thought MAME video game orientated. Sio bizarre, and seems some of the ensoniq OS’s have been dumped.
Now i just came across your other great post and I clicked on link to https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/elektronmono.cpp. Great!

I wonder if there is someone out there who wishes to take on this OS dumping and create an adaptable source OS, so one can ‘parasite’ or ‘JJ’ the machinedrum OS. I’m happy to pay someone $$ to do it as i don’t know shit about coding…

Also just found this https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/8e3dc90e938d1bcf0a2c6c5b60999bd9690e7a08. New machines added as MACHINE_NOT_WORKING.

Now we know from Justin’s coding work that new machines can actually be added. And from what i just read from the dump - is that the Md and MM " chips share most of the code, so the work
is probably shared in a more symmetrical manner than on the Machinedrum."
Thus a dream i have could a real world possibility: MM machines to load on the Md and MD machines to be loaded on the MM.

Could you chime in on all this Justin?

3 Likes

Didn’t someone from Elektron, very politely request that the version number be changed to not follow the official releases? (I think it was Ess)

I find it a little distasteful that that requested wasnt even acknowledged by those that released the unofficial. :confused:

2 Likes

We’ve spoken with Elektron privately regarding future firmware releases.

:sunny:

12 Likes

I’m a man of few words.

2 Likes

Ha! Thanks for confirming what I posted.:joy: Well we are in lock down stage 4 and I for one have never spoken so much to my community, friends and family all over the phone and facetime.
Come on mate - words are fun and talking is fun, . Aka - spill the beans!

Funny I thought the exact opposite…

1 Like

Not quite. They exposed a machine that was already present in the firmware but hidden. (Not saying it d necessarily be impossible to add completely new ones.)

me too, such a weird comment.

1 Like

thanks for the response - and so, the plot thickens.
why would a machine be hidden?
Lets see when someone dumps the hacked OS into MAME :innocent:

Ess has responded there s something to be careful about it, earlier in this thread. So there s likely some unintended behavior or glitch possible.

Not weird.

Someone starts building on something you made in a public forum and you request they stop. They do not respond publicly…looks like you could care less.

Even a simple “I understand, I’ll pm” is huge.
Dropping this thread.

2 Likes

Maybe it’d be possible for the developers to officially license the firmware to make it legit. Of course Elektron are maybe not that happy about someone else writing new firmwares for an old device, since they want to sell their new devices. On the other hand I think there are more than enough people who are still quite happy with their Machinedrums and just would like to see some minor improvements. If I remember correctly there isn’t that much free space left in the MD (at least that’s what I remember reading some years ago somewhere on the internet), so huge feature enhancements are very unlikely anyways. Or it would come with the price of throwing out other stuff. For me replacing the e12 kit’s samples with something 909ish whould be more than enough. And maybe getting half-step tuning for the saw- and sin-machines. :wink:

3 Likes

Are there any news on this?

You expect people went to work on your requests?

2 Likes

Why would Elektron take on the liability towards code quality they don’t control?

The best possible option for them is to condone and let the project continue without fuss.

If it makes their out of production devices more valuable, it increases their brand’s perception still. Out of production devices aren’t going to hamper the sales of new units which are selling butt-tons, but if things go wrong, “licensed” and “legit” would reflect extremely poorly on Elektron for giving an official stamp of approval.

There’s no value-add for owners OR Elektron.

5 Likes

Maintaining healthy, mutually respectful relationships with supportive teams > dancing like a bear for the internet :slight_smile:

1 Like