Machinedrum SPS1-UW X.04 Released [ Unofficial ]

Has anyone tested this OS for stability?

I’m running 1.70 with the MCL and without. So far the MD OS is smooth as silk.

5 Likes

FW 1.70 here. Same experience. No issues.

4 Likes

So amazing… seriously, incredible job!

EDIT: I’ll just keep positive thoughts. :slight_smile:

The update is going great, no problems. It’s great that you can now select the MD tracks directly via the TI. The function of changing parameters on the MD is also great and speeds up the work. Many thanks for the hard work!

MKI only or MKII as well?

MKI only or MKII as well?

Both.

3 Likes

Good work! I know how difficult this kind of thing is too - I’ve reverse engineered parts of operating systems, without the source in the past to fix bugs.

I’m guessing that it’s meant pulling apart the binary, disassembling and re-generating from the relevant assembly language as a starting point.

Is there/could there be a Sysex to turn a step light on or off when in Trig Interface mode? Could be a nice controller for stuff if so

@JustinValer Are the techniques you’ve developed applicable to every Elektron device or have they changed the way their firmware is encoded?

It’s already there, but still need further polishment. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So brillant
if you add microtiming i’ll do whatever you want :heart_eyes: don’t care if you need to remove some other thing for that XD

1 Like

Wait. You’re aware that MCLive had this for quite some time now, right?

1 Like

Cool as hell, impressive!

If you know the processor running a box and it’s off the shelf then invariably there are dev tools available that can turn some representation of the firmware (give or take some kind of transpilation process) into lines of code in front of you.

But to actually make any sense of that, to debug it, to add to it; THAT is extremely hard without some reference to the original source code or dev environment. Obvious examples being variable names and code comments.

This is how the Akai MPC1000 JJ OS was possible. It was done by part of the original dev team so they had the actual proprietary development environment.

In addition something like an MD has lots of peripheral components; the screen, the buttons, the UW sampler, the +Drive etc. You have to know how the firmware interacts with all that guff too!

Very impressive stuff!

1 Like

Wow, this is amazing. Thank you!

Also, how does one get a Megacommand? I have 0 soldering skills so would prefer to buy built. Anyone?

I just heard about this update and it’s awesome to see a future with the MD! I never thought that would happen!!!

Anyone know if there’s a place that we can put a bug list (for the original OS, not necessarily 1.70)?

The one bug that absolutely kills the MD for me is that unmuting sounds is delayed by approximately 1/8th step, so if I unmute on the beat I don’t hear the drum sounds for another 1/8th step. I’ve posted elsewhere and others agreed that this is how it works - which is quite a huge problem when playing the MD!

This problem doesn’t occur on their other devices (have monomachines and analog four/keys).

I didn’t see this fix listed in the changelog.

2 Likes

The topic that most closely resembles a bug list is this one:

The behaviour when unmuting that you described happens with my MD, too. It’s a real annoyance, so it’d be cool if this could be fixed in a future firmware release.

The only other thing I’d ask for in a future firmware would be a set of 909ish hihat/cymbal sounds. Since I don’t own a UW version it’s a real bummer there’s no way to get 909is hihats/crash/cymbal sounds with it. If I had those the MD would be a everything I need for a DAW-less Acid setup (with two 303 clones at the inputs of the MD).

If there’d be a feature enhanced firmware update I’d even pay for it (I did this with JJOS for my MPC, too).

1 Like

Upcoming feature: There will be a new machine, TRX-S2.

32 Likes