Machinedrum SPS-1 MKII midi multitimbrality

Hello,
how can I use MD MKII in multitimbral mode using 16 MIDI channels?
I wish I could set Logic Pro X up to sequence MD. I wish I could set up channel 1 for kick, channel 2 for snare, channels 3-4 for hihats, channels 5-8 for percussions and other for SFX. Is i t possible or am I limited to 4 (base) channels only? Thank you in advance.

You can’t set the MD to respond on 16 different MIDI channels.

But I don’t understand why you would want to. If you want to have a bunch of tracks in Logic which each trigger one track only on the MD, just set each track in Logic to send the MIDI note number that triggers the appropriate track on the MD. The default note numbers are given on page B-1 of the MD manual, but if you wanted to modify the default mapping for some reason, you can use the MD’s Map Editor feature.

Any further bright ideas from anyone regarding this? I really want to be able to tweak all parameters via a logic sequence but it only records knob tweak parameters for 1st 4 drum sounds out of the 16.

Sound like you need to have some more midi input channels enabled in Logic.
MD send all 16 tracks over 4 channels.

3 Likes

Thanks. I knew that but didn’t understand how exactly it worked or indeed how to set things up in Logic accordingly… seems to be working great now. All 16 sounds triggering as they should plus I can tweak the edit knobs for each sound and it records and plays back said tweaks now for each sound. Further setup info here - Have a midi cable from MD OUT to Midi interface IN and of course from MD IN to the interface OUT. On the Audio/Midi setup page in the Mac, assign the midi instrument name and for it to be active for midi channels 1-4 (or all). In Logic open an external midi instrument and asign it to whatever you called it in the Audio/Midi Setup page, and set Midi channel to ALL. Then you can record your MD pad hits and knob tweaks into Logic. You have to set your MD to whichever sound you want to tweak and then those tweaks will be recorded for that sound. Repeat as necessary, overdubbing each time or I guess to a copy of that track for each sound’s data if you like. I have yet to try recording tweaking a Ctrl All… Here goes… Thanks for your nudge in the right direction Mr Waftlord!

great. if you’ve installed the unofficial X firmware you’ll also be able to record your mute changes into logic and tweak the entire performance.

1 Like