Machinedrum SPS-1 mk1 crashed

hello elektronauts

I bought machinedrum mk1 and after few sessions it starts to freeze and was getting me to the screen with main logo and os version but this time it was flashing. I spoke with the guy and he said that he never had a problem with this machine.

The thing was a power supply was in not the best condition so i bought a new replacement one as ‘upbright’ ac/ac dedicated to this version but it didn’t change anything. I was able to go to factory restore setting but it doesn’t help but for some reason test check showing all ok.

After half an hour after freezing could work another 10min and getting freeze again.

It’s happening all the time now and I’m unable even to see a start project screen.

Does anyone had it before ?

Sorry to hear this.

Did you definitely buy the right power supply? AFAIK the PSUs for MK1 and MK2 Machinedrums are not compatible.

Have you tried backing up your data and performing a factory reset?

1 Like

i bought this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UJRNM6I/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and i pressed factory restore but it didnt help

2 Likes

Oh dear, sounds like it might need to be serviced in that case.

1 Like

I experienced the same problem with my mk1.
Thought it were the PSU, but let a electro engineer look at it. PSU were fine, BUT the cause was the soldering. Some were bulging, he resolderd the mainbord PSU and outputs (they were going too) and it’s working perfectly without crashes or restarts…
i would bet it’s the same issue you are experiencing…

Good luck!

Hi Maleh

Do you know what was the reason ?
When machine arrived was working fine for two times for 20 min quick sessions… after that starts crashing.
Previous owner didnt have this problems so im wonder how is it possible.
This symptoms starts with his original power supply but with that one i bought is still same.
Whats the best solution cause im not an engineer ?

I also bought second hand and also did get the same reaction from the seller. It’s the best excuse to say when selling defective gear…

I noticed it later when I used it for some time (30+ mins.)
Did the first diagnose myself, but after tested all I could and knew. it ended up as if the MD needed a “warmup” every session. (bit weird for a digital synth, but it worked!)

I used it like this for quite some time, just made sure NOT to touch the PSU wire… it could reset like in your video.

Few years later this got very bad, to a extend of not able to use it, and reliability was utter sh#t.
Took the MD to my father in law, who’s a retired technician/engineer. and let him do the diagnose…

Tested the PSU with a multimeter (which I said needed replacement), all fine… gave the right Volts/amps…
Then he openend up the MD (with me looking in horror what to expect). And when reaching the mainboard (lowest board with outputs, PSU connector, etc.) he said: “oooh, it’s just some old soldering needed a touchup.”
Personally I did not see it, but the soldering where a bit bulged by age/wear/moist/lead soldering/whatever. kinda looked like a faded ring on the solder if looked closely…

My advice is find a great soldering guy and pay him with his favourite beer (for the laughs afterworths).
Y’ll have a MD just like new, without the crashes/bootloops. It’s a easy job, but it’s just too difficult to operate on your own children/machines…

I did register to Elektronauts when reading your post to reply… been reading the forums for years…

5 Likes