Machinedrum secondhand prices are getting crazy

How do you know what year it is from? I was just curious if there was a way to tell by serial number, design etc. because I’m curious about my own MD’s “vintage” :slightly_smiling_face:

Isn’t it printed on the label on the bottom (MFGDT), as well as part of the serial prefix (two digit number after the leading letter), at least for later units I’ve seen.

3 Likes

Ah yes, I see. Thanks!

it’s so depressing reading the first post of this thread while seeing present-day MDs going for $3,300 CAD

4 Likes

This was a little too on the nose to the Syntakt. Lol.

1 Like

There’s one for sale for a 1000€ here in Finland.
https://muusikoiden.net/tori/ilmoitus/1774889

Still not tempted. I sold mine for 650€.

1 Like

It the same prices as in Sweden… it seems like the rest of Europe have insane prices… or maybe there’s markets outside of Reverb that actually have more reasonable prices…

1 Like

That seems to be the case. Lots of units with original boxes, stickers and stuff that are making them more collectable on reverb for crazy prices.

2 Likes

there’s a non-uw mk2 in France going for 850 at the moment

agree that uw versions can get expensive but the rest are still fine. got mine for 700 last year lol

3 Likes

Is that up on reverb?

Audiofanzine I’m guessing, though if it’s the one listed here then it’s collection in person only :

https://fr.audiofanzine.com/elektron/machinedrum/petites-annonces/

2 Likes

That’s what I was thinking… it might just be reverb being reverb and that there is actually more isolated market i Europe with “normal” used prices

Audiofanzine is generally much more reasonable than Reverb, partly no doubt because (unless you use their Looper payment system), there are no fees for the seller or buyer.

2 Likes

Sure, from France, second hand Reverb prices can be more than new.

Same for me. I wouldn’t buy an MK2UW at those prices, bought mine 600€ as new. I prefer the Digidrum : Syntakt ! :scream:

Sorry for MD lovers, but I think it can make much better kicks, especially FM kicks. Prove me I’m wrong !

6 Likes

I agree I think Syntakt is a much more realized drum machine… but imo MD excels in experimentation, here Syntakt feels much more static in comparison.

5 Likes

I don’t agree. 2 lfos, trig conditions, soundlocks…
It lacks CTRL 8P?, RAM machines and other things of course, but imho MD is more static, and I can say I experimented a lot in that way with MD, with midi loopback, midi processing to change machines randomly with Sysex…

2 Likes

I’m tempted to turn on my MD again and give it a go :grinning:
I did just buy another DN as drum machine so I guess I was looking for more shaping options too though the MD is a keeper. It also depends on what kinds of kicks you like.

1 Like

I agree with @MichaalHell on this one.
MachineDrum has flexible LFO-routing, the new neighbour machines, 16 vs 12 tracks, weirder MachineDrum and a lot of other things, that I think makes it a better machine for experimenting. But I also returned the syntactic after 2 days, so I’m interested in knowing, if I’m wrong.

1 Like

With UW, probably. Without, I don’t agree. No retrigs, no tuned pitch, no modulations (pitchbend, modwheel, velocity). Ok for flexible lfo routing, but in the end I was still lacking lfos. I prefer 2 per track than 1 flexible per track.

The only kick I liked on MD was the BD2.

When I sold my MD I thought I’d buy another one, still have my black faceplate. At today’s prices, no way. And I’d want an MK2UW only…
Anyway I think the OT+ST combo is much more capable concerning synthesis, processing, recording, I don’t like 12 bit samples, I found workflow boring so…no regrets! :wink:
It was gorgeous in black though…:thinking:

6 Likes

You keep saying this but since the X.04 firmware it’s not true. The tonal option is there for most machines. :slightly_smiling_face:

Other than that we can agree to disagree.

4 Likes