Machinedrum - replacement blue screen

I think I saw someone who posted an eBay link for a replacement blue screen for MD, but can’t see this anymore…it was a whole replacement screen unit that could be fitted quite quickly and didn’t need soldering etc.

Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Many thanks!

Funnily enough, it’s in the MD topic right below yours ^^

Haha, yes I saw this, but it’s not the one I meant, as this is one you have to solder I think.

There was an eBay posting with a unit that includes the PCB and cable etc. It was more expensive but a lot easier to fit.

was literally plug and play - obviously you have to open the casing :slight_smile:

Hi pricey but plug and play

2 Likes

That’s the one, thanks dude :wink:

1 Like

Eeeeek red button !

:smile:

1 Like

Hey, guys. I tried to take the screen off the machinedrum in order to change it with a white one. And i messed up i think. The result after i put the screen back on is as you see from the pictures just random dots and pixels.
I used a chopstick to lift the screen from the pins after replacing it. And i damaged the board underneath the screen as you can see from the pictures. Is this the reason? Am not too engineering savvy. So if anyone can confirm… or if anyone had a similar issue. The screen is the original one - i did not put the replacement as it did not arrive yet with the mail. I was trying to see if I can remove the original first. Panicking here, if anyone can help…would be grateful…

This is the damaged board underneath - sorry new user I can only post one picture at a time

I’m sorry you’re having difficulty and I’m not trying to frighten you. I’m not an expert either, so keep that in mind, but I do have soldering and electronics experience/skills from my other hobbies. I would guess as well that the issue is being cause by the damage to the PCB (circuit board).

It’s hard to tell, because I can’t see where those traces (the etched lines in the PCB) go and what they’re connecting. Not all traces are always used, but there’s a good (more than likely) chance they are. I can’t judge from the picture, but depending on how deep you gouged into the board you’ve likely broken the traces which indeed is very bad.

It is possible to repair broken traces, but that’s very much something for experienced professionals to do. There’s various methods to do it, but I would not recommend trying it yourself. If I was in your position, I’d stop now before possibly causing any further damage and seek professional assistance.

I don’t know where you’re located or how much it’ll cost… never had to do this myself other than knowing it can be done. You can search in your area/country, but here’s one example: http://www.circuitrework.com/

Hopefully this turns out OK for you!

yep looks like you’ve severed numerous traces in that group. I’ve resoldered damaged traces before but it’s a very delicate job, totally fixable but best off get a pro to do it as suggested above.

LMAO! anyways, good luck with the repair lol.

the best idea would be to sell it as defect for spare parts, because the repair costs would be about the same. with the money he can buy another MD, plus the money he would have paid for the repair. just my own opinion!

that’s not accurate, I’ve done a similar repair myself (broken trace on an A4) and It cost me nothing. I’m a fairly novice tech (built a couple of pedals & synth repairs before), and had some guidance from a slightly more advanced friend.
You have to be careful when working on the board but it not a complicated job, just 4 or 5 broken traces side by side).

Any half decent tech would have it done in no time. get a tech to do it for you but it shouldn’t cost that much at all.